Save the CEOA party!

Emerald

OK,

Here it is on the line. I have only had two people respond that they are coming to this event, and one of these folks is talking about driving many hours. Not fair to make someone drive hours for a non-happening. The other respondent is a local friend of mine, who I had the pleasure of sailing with last weekend, and may very well do again this weekend, so it's not exactly a big deal for the two of us to get together. So, here's the question. I am gettting ready to pull the plug on the CEOA rebirth meeting this June 25. This is not to be interpreted as me gettting out of trying to bring back the CEOA with the help of Ben (and others), but I'd like someone to show up for our first event, and would rather try to do something else later than host a dud that did nothing to get people energized about the group.

Bottom line, if I don't see a bunch of email in my inbox or postings back to this message, I am going to cancel the meeting and go sailing, and work on trying to do another event later on.

Please let me know what your thoughts are, and please do not say you are coming unless you really want to. I need an accurate head count to make this decision :confused:

-David
Independence 31
Emerald

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
My thoughts...

I think you should hold it regardless - even if you're there by yourself.

This weekend we had the largest NW event ever held - I believe about 30 boats, plus people from Southern California and NYC. Some of the boats came up from Portland, OR - by going outside the Columbia River and up the coast - to be there. I'm going to write something up separately on the NW event - but I'll attach an image to inspire you...

Stuart was telling us that a few years ago he had only two (2) boats show up. Last year it was in the twenties. We're hoping for 40-50 boats next year.

The point of this is that the event occurs. Just think of how nice it will be, five years from now, when you tell people of the time there were only two boats that showed up.

The event is a good idea - CEOA is a good idea. None of this stuff just 'happens' - it takes lots of time, patience and work. Also consider cross posting to other lists (is there a Chesapeake sailing list?) as well as putting ads in local sailing rags (this is what Stuart did).

Just pace yourself and take it easy. Numbers do not make an organization - inspiration and vision do. You have the necessary components. Don't give up.

//sse

Attachments

• EricsonNWR2005_0109.jpg
    EricsonNWR2005_0109.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 202
  • EricsonNWR2005_0132.jpg
    EricsonNWR2005_0132.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 240
  • EricsonNWR2005_0156.jpg
    EricsonNWR2005_0156.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 269

Roger Ware

Member III
Who are these Vikings?

Sean - great pictures, is there any way to identify these noble Vikings (and maybe even their boats, too) to those like myself who were not there, but have been on these lists for quite a while and feel like we know them?

Cheers, Roger, Kingston, ON

CaptDan

Member III
Roger Ware said:
Sean - great pictures, is there any way to identify these noble Vikings (and maybe even their boats, too) to those like myself who were not there, but have been on these lists for quite a while and feel like we know them?

Cheers, Roger, Kingston, ON

Though I recognize a couple of shining faces, the rest - though merry, happy and proud - are unknown. Yes, it would be great to put names/boats to those faces.

From the looks of that fine bunch, I'm even more sad I couldn't attend. I really hope there's another rendevous next year. But I'm glad that such a fine time was had by all.

Capt Dan G>E35II "Kunu"