Ericson 38-200 fuel tank

oceandreams89

Member II
Hello,

I am hoping that someone out there knows where I can find a replacement fuel tank for my 38-200. It was manufactured by Custom Marine in Huntington Beach, CA in 1989. It is a 54 gallon aluminum tank, number 1722. I have had no luck finding the company that made it, and I am hoping that someone may have an idea. I also am looking for the company that made the CNG stove....Regal. I need a part for my stove as well and no luck finding this company either. I dunno...maybe I need a new search engine.

Thanks for any information anyone can provide.
Todd

oceandreams89

Member II
Never was able to find this company so the tank has been welded and seems to be doing fine. The tank had areas of corrosion and pitting caused by poor bonding and moisture below the tank. It was recommended to me by the welder to coat the tank with Trailer Coat gray paint. It is nasty stuff but bonds to the tank and keeps moisture away from the aluminum. I also re-bonded the ground location from the hose clamp at the fill pipe to the fuel quantity indicator mounting screw via a ring connector. Hopefully this will provide a better bonding location and prevent the tank from corroding again.

If anyone else experiences a minor fuel leak as this was, the repair was far easier than expected. Ericson engineered the tank to pop right out unlike some other manufacturers I have delt with before that require major invasive surgury to get it out.

FYI

I apologize for jumping in late on this, but I just had to pull the tank on my '87 38-200. It came from Vic Berry Sheet Metal, Costa Mesa CA, (714) 548-3613. Model "E382".

A marina neighbor suggested coating with spray-on bed liner usually seen on pickup trucks for external corrosion protection. I haven't decided on this yet.

stbdtack

Member III
tank replacement....

Just pulled my tank out of my E-38. Had a couple of pinhole leaks so after consulting with a tank Mfg, I decided on a new one. Old tank had to be "trimmed" to get it out through the companionway so the new tank was made minus the outboard pointy end (about 1.5 gallons).

Best way to install tank to prevent corrosion is to glue 1 inch strips of plastic length wise on the hard chines of the tank. I used 1/4" polycarbonate(Lexan) because I had some laying around. ABS would work fine as would acrylic(Plexiglass) Use 5200 for it's bonding strength and make sure it oozes from all around the strip. This will insure that moisture cant get between the tank and the plastic.
The tank will now sit up off the fiberglass and moisture can't be trapped against the aluminum. I would not put any kind of coating on the aluminum as moisture could get under and cause corrosion. Bare aluminum forms an oxide on its surface and protects itself from corrosion as long as it can dry out.

I have pictures of the tank on a website. E-mail if you want to see.

Cheers ,
Ben

Mindscape

Member III
Exterior Teak Replacement

Was just looking at your web site and saw the comment on the PO replacing the exterior teak with stainless. Do you have any picitures?? I've got a 32-3 and am thinking along the lines of replacing some (all??) or the exterior trim with stainless or some other low maintenance material.

Looks like you guys have done a ton of work!! Good luck and safe sailing.

joerun26

Member II
I read your response to a fuel tank replacement on the Ericson website. You mentioned that you had pictures available. I'd like to see them if I can.

I have 35' Mark 3 and I've been getting fuel in the bilge area (with the fuel petcock closed). I've not pressure tested the tank yet but I don't see where else it could be coming from.

Anything you can tell me about your tank replacement would be appreciated.

My member name on the Ericson site is joerun26.

Thanks,
Joe

stbdtack said:
Just pulled my tank out of my E-38. Had a couple of pinhole leaks so after consulting with a tank Mfg, I decided on a new one. Hi,

Old tank had to be "trimmed" to get it out through the companionway so the new tank was made minus the outboard pointy end (about 1.5 gallons).

Best way to install tank to prevent corrosion is to glue 1 inch strips of plastic length wise on the hard chines of the tank. I used 1/4" polycarbonate(Lexan) because I had some laying around. ABS would work fine as would acrylic(Plexiglass) Use 5200 for it's bonding strength and make sure it oozes from all around the strip. This will insure that moisture cant get between the tank and the plastic.
The tank will now sit up off the fiberglass and moisture can't be trapped against the aluminum. I would not put any kind of coating on the aluminum as moisture could get under and cause corrosion. Bare aluminum forms an oxide on its surface and protects itself from corrosion as long as it can dry out.

I have pictures of the tank on a website. E-mail if you want to see.

Cheers ,
Ben

stbdtack

Member III
Fuel tank

Hi Joe,
I'm happy to send pics of the tank install. In Fl now with only dial-up so I'll send them after I get back to CA next week (and DSL).

Cheers
Ben

joerun26

Member II
Fuel Tank Pictures

Thanks Ben,

I'm looking forward to seeing the photos when you return to CA. Hope you had a chance to sail in FL.
Joe

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Message from FotoMat

Your images are ready: :)

//sse

Attachments

• fuel tank 002 copy.jpg
    fuel tank 002 copy.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 141
  • fuel tank 007 copy.jpg
    fuel tank 007 copy.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 143
  • fuel tank 008 copy.jpg
    fuel tank 008 copy.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 136
  • fuel tank 010 copy.jpg
    fuel tank 010 copy.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 139

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Tank removal and inspection questions

How hard was it to get the old tank out?
Are there any inspection ports for cleaning and inspection on the original tanks?
I am buying a 1989 E-38 and anticipate servicing the tank at the least, possibly replacing if needed. Finally what was the cost of the new tank?