• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Bottom Paint for Puget Sound???

Solace

Member I
Hello everyone. Getting ready to pull my boat on the hard for bottom paint. Does anyone have recommendations for which paint works best here in the Puget sound area? Any local companies? Here in Olympia West Marine is about it. Any suggestions would be helpful.... Thanks...

toddbrsd

Ex-Viking, Now Native American
Get a Price Match

If West Marine is your only local source, make sure you get a price on-line from Defender or Jamestown Distributors. WM has s price match policy. I have been doing this for the last year or so because WM is convenient to my slip.

newgringo

Member III
I use Pettit SR 40 ablative. Put on 2 coats (2 gallons) every 3 years. Seems to work OK in Kingston. I get a local diver to clean every few months (6 max) too. I think I ordered from Defender but I will look into the price match idea with West Marine now.

Solace

Member I
Thanks

Thanks for the info. I was unaware of WM price matching???? It wont surprise me one bit if their "knowledgeable" employees are also unaware???? As they are to most things they sell. Now I need mother nature to give me a break and let the sun shine.... Thanks again for the info.

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Another option

We've used Petit Trinidad SR, as the previous owner had, until 2009 when we got a deal on a Seahawk paint that has worked well. We recoated with it in January. We moor in the mouth of the Duwamish, but it's still plenty salty, judging by the mussels on everything hanging down and occasional barnacle on the prop and strut. No complaints. We usually go two years between haulouts.

We finally got out again this month and after three straight weekend cruises, the bottom is free of the soft stuff and motoring and sailing speed is normal.