View RSS Feed

Sati

Liveaboard Prep 1: Removal of Wine Rack pt. 2 (and v berth cushions)

Rate this Entry
With the bottom "U" piece out, and both screws removed from the top "U" piece, we are now just left with the 4-hole piece in the back.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190218_104150.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	26192

This piece was held in by the two screws already removed from inside the lazarette, as well as two bunged-in screws on the bottom, attached to a small block of wood behind the bottom "O"s.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190218_104529 (1).jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	41.9 KB 
ID:	26193

With these removed, I started applying some elbow grease to discern where a connection was left on the starboard side of the "O" piece (left side in the pictures). There was no clear fastener inside the cupboard in that direction, so I was concerned it was going to be completely inaccessible and I'd be googling how to cut screws short. I was pleasantly surprised when the O piece gave way, attached on the left side purely by friction and two tiny nails near the top-left O.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190218_105113.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	49.3 KB 
ID:	26194

The nails came out easy-peasy with a pair of pliers, and that block of wood at the bottom was simply screwed in from the top with three wood screws. Those removed, the block came right off, and the old wine rack became another 1.5-2 ft^2 of galley storage space. I have some additional finishing to do here, patching the holes, cleaning the counter top, putting in some non-skid shelf cover, and affixing some sort of webbing so the whole section can be covered up while underway. I think it will be perfect space either for a pantry or some small kitchen appliance. but the question begs an answer - without the wine rack, do I even own an Ericson anymore!?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190218_105726.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	40.2 KB 
ID:	26195

BONUS:

I have a picture space left, so here's a pic of my new v-berth cushions. They're slightly greener in person than they look on this picture.

I wish I could say I was of the proud few who have suffered the creation of their own cushions, but I know where my current skillset ends so I paid my friend Jeff to make them for me, quite reasonably. I used a plush/sateen velvet fabric I found online and have an inch of Hypervent underneath the cushions, which makes them sit a little proud of the teak cushion-holders on the aft part, but hopefully that won't become an issue. If so, I'll have to figure something else out.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190218_111921.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	74.5 KB 
ID:	26196

Submit "Liveaboard Prep 1:  Removal of Wine Rack pt. 2 (and v berth cushions)" to Digg Submit "Liveaboard Prep 1:  Removal of Wine Rack pt. 2 (and v berth cushions)" to del.icio.us Submit "Liveaboard Prep 1:  Removal of Wine Rack pt. 2 (and v berth cushions)" to StumbleUpon Submit "Liveaboard Prep 1:  Removal of Wine Rack pt. 2 (and v berth cushions)" to Google Submit "Liveaboard Prep 1:  Removal of Wine Rack pt. 2 (and v berth cushions)" to Face Book

Updated 02-18-2019 at 01:49 PM by Sati (typo)

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Maintenance and Mechanical , Ericson Ownership

Comments