View RSS Feed

bigd14

New Engine Panel Fabrication Part III

Rate this Entry
This time I used thickened epoxy on all the edges and let the first course cure before adding the reinforcing layers of biax. This turned out way better with much fewer voids.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Try #2.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	113.5 KB 
ID:	24404
Try #2

I filled the voids and spent hours sanding it flush. Then I primed it, but the primer cured lumpy, so I spent more hours sanding it smooth.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Primed and Test Fit.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	64.1 KB 
ID:	24406
Primed and test fit

Then I painted it with Interlux Brightsides. And then, when the paint didnít cure properly, I sanded all the paint off, re-primed it, and sanded it even more.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Failed Paint.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	116.0 KB 
ID:	24405
Failed Paint

By this time familiarity had bred contempt and my standard of perfection was considerably less, so I gave up and painted it. This time the paint cured properly, showing every imperfection I had neglected to sand out underneath it.


By now, two months had passed since I started the project, so I decided not to let the perfect be the enemy of the good and cut all the holes in the enclosure and wired it all up. It looks pretty good from a distance and most importantly is way more durable and functional than the first enclosure.


Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wired Up.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	204.5 KB 
ID:	24407
Wired Up

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Final Installation.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	70.8 KB 
ID:	24408
Final Install

Submit "New Engine Panel Fabrication Part III" to Digg Submit "New Engine Panel Fabrication Part III" to del.icio.us Submit "New Engine Panel Fabrication Part III" to StumbleUpon Submit "New Engine Panel Fabrication Part III" to Google Submit "New Engine Panel Fabrication Part III" to Face Book

Updated 05-26-2018 at 09:48 AM by bigd14

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

  1. bgary's Avatar
    Wow, gorgeous!

    ...but after seeing the "before" shots, not sure why you went on to make a cast part. the male mold you crafted was a work of art! WEST epoxy it and have a bright-finished wood panel?

    Bruce
    Updated 05-26-2018 at 12:05 PM by bgary
  2. Christian Williams's Avatar
    Came out great. Nice going.
  3. sharonov's Avatar
    Looks great! What did you use for the On/Off switch? I had to replace Cole Hersee M-482-BP after about one year. Judging how the postmortem internals of the first one looked the second switch will likely not last either. There is quite a bit of current going through it during glow phase - I reckon a bit over 20A.
  4. bigd14's Avatar
    Thank you. I originally used a similar ignition switch. But when I went to test the panel (after I installed it with Sikaflex 291-stupid move), I wasn't getting much voltage beyond the switch. I chased the problem for hours and finally concluded the ignition switch must have been faulty from the factory. So I ripped the entire panel back out with some difficulty and DeBond, and replaced the switch with a Sierra brand ignition switch. Of course the problem persisted! I finally traced it to an incorrectly attached ground wire. I will be using butyl tape and a very small amount of sealant this next time for when I have to replace components again in a few years.
  5. G Kiba's Avatar
    Big D. It looks great and probably works better than it looks! "Perfection is overrated!". I'm more impressed with your humility and will to finish. Good Job.