View RSS Feed

bigd14

New Engine Panel Fabrication Part II

Rate this Entry
Once the mold was built up, I added thickened epoxy fillets, then coated the whole thing with epoxy and sanded it flat. Then I coated it with about 15 coats of mold release wax, which was 10 more than needed, and taped off all other surfaces.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ready for fiberglassing.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	131.0 KB 
ID:	24399

Ready for fiberglassing


I laid up fiberglass matt as an underlayer since I had read that it conformed to surfaces well, then fiberglass cloth, then biaxial cloth. I worked the corners and edges as much as possible, clamped the ring over the back and let it cure.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Layup.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	154.8 KB 
ID:	24400

Laid up and curing

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Molded Flange.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	132.2 KB 
ID:	24401
Flange

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Out of the Mold.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	121.1 KB 
ID:	24402
Freshly molded part


Once the part had cured, the flaws in my decision making became evident. Even though I had added extra epoxy, there were gaps and voids everywhere. I tried to add thickened epoxy to the whole thing and re-mold it, but this did not work at all. I spent two days filling and sanding but there were just too many voids. I got sick of sanding and finding dozens of paper thin areas that I kept having to puncture and fill and re-sand, so I eventually I gave up and decided to re-cast the enclosure.


Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Voids.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	28.1 KB 
ID:	24403
Voids

Submit "New Engine Panel Fabrication Part II" to Digg Submit "New Engine Panel Fabrication Part II" to del.icio.us Submit "New Engine Panel Fabrication Part II" to StumbleUpon Submit "New Engine Panel Fabrication Part II" to Google Submit "New Engine Panel Fabrication Part II" to Face Book

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments