View RSS Feed

footrope

First Fixed Port - Installed at Last

Rate this Entry
Today we had a sunny 43F day at the marina. I scraped a little of last night's snow from the deck near the port opening and scrubbed and scraped the duct tape residue from the edges with mineral spirits. After a quick wipe down with acetone to remove the spirit remnants (cold day slow evaporation) I outlined the outer surface with blue painters tape. The stain from many years of accumulated weathering made it easy to see the margin of the frame around the opening. I had a uniform 1/4 inch overlap of the frame with the opening for the sealing surface.

Next, I applied a heavy amount of 4000UV white sealer to the frame flange and my friend held it in place outside while I quickly applied the rest of the tube to the back of the new teak veneer plywood piece for the inside. After fitting the plywood around the frame and getting it pressed against the wall I screwed the inner frame retainer into the frame and against the plywood. That secured the frame and the plywood panel firmly in place. In fact it tightened up very nicely and held the plywood better than I expected. I'm very satisfied with the result.

The back of the plywood panel before the final cut and shaping. After tracing the outline from the old plywood, including the port cutout, I cut to the lines to get the outside shape close. I didn't trust the port outline so it was left uncut. Out at the boat I used a small finger plane to trim and fit the plywood to the space. A friend outlined the port opening from the outside in pen while I held the panel against the inside wall. The port cutout was cut with a 3 inch hole saw and a small handsaw. The final cutout shape was done with a rotary sandpaper flapper on a hand drill.
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180105_152959-small.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	61.9 KB 
ID:	23751

The port installed after painters tape removal and initial cleanup with mineral spirits. The black 3M 4200 fillet on the glass can be seen clearly in both shots. I'm not real great at making smooth beads but for the most part it looks good. I decided against the silicones for this port. Basically I cleaned up the old undamaged vinyl gasket and put the frame and glass back together with no sealer. I applied a little black 4200 to close the 1/4 inch gap on the inside of the glass and then applied the bead to the outside and smoothed it. I let the fillet cure for about a week in 65F ambient temps.
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180222_152310-small.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	58.6 KB 
ID:	23748 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180222_152332-crop.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	23749

The finished look on the inside of the salon. This was a pretty easy installation and having a person to help was a great time saver. With the extra hands the procedure was much less messy than any port bedding job I've done so far.
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180222_152941-small.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	34.4 KB 
ID:	23750

Submit "First Fixed Port - Installed at Last" to Digg Submit "First Fixed Port - Installed at Last" to del.icio.us Submit "First Fixed Port - Installed at Last" to StumbleUpon Submit "First Fixed Port - Installed at Last" to Google Submit "First Fixed Port - Installed at Last" to Face Book

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments