1984 E30+ Strut Replacement Part 5- Final
by, 03-14-2017 at 09:39 PM (33 Views)
Finally got it done. Four days and four rounds of epoxy.
The first round of filler was very thick to hold the strut in place. Temperatures were in the low 50's during the process, and I used slow hardener to prevent it from going off too hot.
The next day I added the second pour which filled in the small gaps around the strut. There were only a few areas where it was sort of thick and the bronze strut acts as a heat sink, so with the slow hardener and cool temperatures I think I avoided any epoxy overheating situations.
The following day I added a layer of thickened epoxy, a layer of fiberglass and two layers of 1708 biax over the strut, and worked the biax around the bolts sticking up from the strut (didn't take photos of this). I used fast hardener for the biax, and after this kicked off, I then added a mound of thickened epoxy (slow hardener) over the top and molded it into shape with a plastic bag over it. I left this overnight.
The next day I added two more layers of 1708 biax over the whole thing. And its mostly done! I still have to fair around the hull and paint over both sides.
The end result is pretty good. The strut shifted ever so slightly, possibly due to epoxy shrinkage or maybe it did heat up a bit, or maybe due to the wind shaking the boat around. So the prop shaft does not rotate quite as silky smooth as I hoped. If I grab the motor end of the shaft and lift it up 0.01 inches, it is smooth, so that should be well within the tolerance range to allow adjustment at the motor end and still have the PSS shaft seal in good alignment. On to the next challenge!