View RSS Feed

Recent Blogs Posts

  1. Muffler Mod for an Olson

    There is an old saw about choosing whether to "raise the bridge or lower the river" and after our new engine was installed we had to deal with this kind of decision.

    To wit: the distance from the top of the exhaust elbow on the engine needs to be XX inches above the top of the water lift muffler body in order to avoid possible back flow.
    Our former Universal diesel had a higher cast "neck" than the new Beta. The Beta has an optional higher one, but it would ...

    Updated Yesterday at 12:49 PM by Loren Beach

    Categories
    Uncategorized
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vernalift muffler.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	27.2 KB 
ID:	27068   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new muffler, lowered.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	76.1 KB 
ID:	27069  
  2. New Spectra Topping Lift

    The original Ericson topping lift was heavy stainless wire, coated in vinyl. I've tossed it, but the effective diameter was 3/8ths or more. It was dirty--how do you clean a fixed topping lift? I was unable to easily check the top shackle. The swaged loop at the foot of it connected to the internal leader with a shackle, which made a rather clumsy thing banging around overhead. And the leader had meat hooks, from which my regular application of failing vinyl tape provided a nice flag blowing ...
  3. Sailing school in Greece because of my YouTube channel!

    A lot has changed since my last first and last blog entry. I made it from Mid-Michigan down to Cleveland and bought my Ericson 35 Mark ll. I bought the bought from a marine mechanic who paid next to nothing for her from one of his customers who inherited the boat from his dad. The curtains inside literally fell to pieces upon touch. Everything was filthy and moldy and there were spiders and webs all over. It was a mess. My daughter and I stayed the weekend to clean out the inside.

    ...
    Tags: atomic 4, markii Add / Edit Tags
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. New Teak & Holly Sole & Cupboard

    This winter I finally got around to starting the cosmetic to-do projects that the admiral has been pushing me to do since day one of purchasing my E38. Some of the sole in the galley, head, quarter berth, and companionway entrance had been badly water damaged at some point in the boats past, with the epoxy/varnish lifting and holly badly mold damaged. So I ripped up the sections and cut out new sections of Teak and Holly 3/4" plywood. FYI the 8ftx4ft sheets cost $300/each.

    Using ...

    Updated 04-26-2019 at 10:33 AM by kiwisailor

    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. New Bilge Hoses

    This winter I finally got around to starting the cosmetic to-do projects that the admiral has been pushing me to do since day one of purchasing my E38. Some of the sole in the galley, head, quarter berth, and companionway entrance had been badly water damaged at some point in the boats past, with the epoxy/varnish lifting and the holly badly mold damaged. I decided since I had the sole up to replace all the bilge hoses that were original and in very bad shape.

    One thing I noticed is ...

    Updated 04-25-2019 at 07:19 AM by kiwisailor

    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 1 of 94 123451151 ... LastLast