View RSS Feed

bigd14

  1. New Engine Panel Fabrication Part III

    This time I used thickened epoxy on all the edges and let the first course cure before adding the reinforcing layers of biax. This turned out way better with much fewer voids.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Try #2.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	113.5 KB 
ID:	24404
    Try #2

    I filled the voids and spent hours sanding it flush. Then I primed it, but the primer cured lumpy, so I spent more hours sanding it smooth.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Primed and Test Fit.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	64.1 KB 
ID:	24406
    Primed and test fit

    Then I painted it with Interlux ...

    Updated 05-26-2018 at 09:48 AM by bigd14

    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. New Engine Panel Fabrication Part II

    Once the mold was built up, I added thickened epoxy fillets, then coated the whole thing with epoxy and sanded it flat. Then I coated it with about 15 coats of mold release wax, which was 10 more than needed, and taped off all other surfaces.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ready for fiberglassing.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	131.0 KB 
ID:	24399

    Ready for fiberglassing


    I laid up fiberglass matt as an underlayer since I had read that it conformed to surfaces well, then fiberglass cloth, then biaxial cloth. I worked the ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. New Engine Panel Fabrication Part I

    The boat came to me with a series of switches and buttons installed in holes in the cockpit wall leaving them exposed to water. The original engine panel had been removed and replaced with a sheet of stainless steel with a speaker in the middle of it which leaked water into the boat and looked like a 7th grade shop project. Why the original arrangement wasn’t satisfactory to a PO remains a mystery, but it was good enough for me, so I had to return things to the way they were.

    ...

    Updated 05-26-2018 at 08:14 AM by bigd14

    Categories
    Uncategorized
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Images  
  4. 1984 E30+ Strut Replacement Part 5- Final

    Finally got it done. Four days and four rounds of epoxy.

    The first round of filler was very thick to hold the strut in place. Temperatures were in the low 50's during the process, and I used slow hardener to prevent it from going off too hot.

    The next day I added the second pour which filled in the small gaps around the strut. There were only a few areas where it was sort of thick and the bronze strut acts as a heat sink, so with the slow hardener and cool temperatures ...

    Updated 03-15-2017 at 08:28 AM by bigd14

    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. 1984 E30+ Strut Replacement Part 4

    I was finally able to put in a full day of work on the boat today. As shown in the last strut replacement blog, I started out thinking I would prop up the shaft on a barrel and some wood. I quickly realized this would cause the strut to move when I stepped on and off the boat (and with the wind shaking it around today). So I devised a framework that I strapped to the boat to hold the prop shaft adjustment jig in place. It was raining cats and dogs today, and I was bedeviled by drips. I was able ...

    Updated 03-13-2017 at 10:24 PM by bigd14 (Stern Tube Size wrong)

    Tags: prop shaft, strut Add / Edit Tags
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast