• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Isthmus empty

Sven

Seglare
I just checked the Two Harbors camera and there is one single sailboat west of the pier, I don't see any other boats at all.

We had one other boat most of the time in 4th of July Cove between Tuesday night and Saturday morning. There was a third boat for one night. Cherry had 3 or 4 powerboats, that was it.

When Nancy mentioned to Megan that we liked having 4th to ourselves Megan responded that they were really hoping for a big weekend so we shouldn't count on that. We still only had one other boat in the cove Friday night until we left at 11 on Saturday. I think we only met one other boat heading over when we were on our way back on Saturday.

If business doesn't pick up soon we might see the end of the Isthmus as we know it. I just checked my pictures from last year at this time and while it certainly wasn't full there were 10s of boats, not just a couple or half a dozen. Hope they survive.

-Sven

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Last year on Mother's Day weekend it was blowing like stink, Remember most of us scrubbed the mission for a Ericson Gathering except for yours and Don's boats. Business was pretty brisk over Easter Weekend, by no means full, but more than half. Memorial Day and there after is when it kicks in. Then when the kids get out of school for the Summer, yikes. If fuel prices get back to somewhat normal and we have a hotter Summer than last year, look out.

Enjoy it while you can.

Glad to hear that all structure were spared from the brush fire.

Sven

Seglare
Hi Jeff,

It is true that it was blowing last year but that didn't stop a lot of boats from showing up. The contrast in the volume of business is striking.

I hope you are right about it picking up after Memorial day, as long as it doesn't get too crowded :egrin:

-Sven

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Eddie, aka Capt. UpChuck said he's heading over there Thursday, with his little MacGregor 22-2, weather permitting.

I will be in Altadena for the "Save Dave King" Fund Raiser event and concert to see my buddy Mike Watt play. Snotty Scotty & the Hankies will be there as well as Jack Black, yes the actor.
:egrin:

http://www.keepdavealive.org/savekingdave

Sven

Seglare
We'll miss you in Altadena as we'll be back out on the water again. Tell them to re-schedule :)

-Sven

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Of course, it's getting closer to the weekend. Even in peak summer months it starts clearing out on Sunday afternoon, then they start showing up in droves closer to Friday. I remember spending a week in Cat Harbor the week after Labor Day in 2009. I walked over to Two Harbors on that Monday, and it was a Ghost Town.

Less is more, IMHO. I don't think they will close the Island any time soon.
:rolleyes:

Sven

Seglare
I don't think they will close the Island any time soon.
:rolleyes:

Won't happen while we are sailing locally but with the drastic cutbacks they have already had I wouldn't be surprised if the big money behind the 300 room hotel and convention center plans at the Isthmus are a threat for those who want to continue sailing out there.

-Sven

Sven

Seglare
Maybe 80% occupancy on Memorial Day ?

The weather was no doubt a factor. It was pretty wild ... not as bad as when we spent several days in 4th of July a month or two ago, but this time there were a lot of dragging boats: "do you want to do my dragging Echo 3 or your dragging Echo 3 first" ... talking about two out of many dragging boats in the three main coves.

I talked to one of the staff people (not harbor or store employees, just a background employee that keeps things working) and she was commenting on how they were really hoping for a good turnout so they wouldn't have to lay more people off. While I don't like the Disney flavor of the place we have sure had a lot of good times there and think of some of the employees as almost friends.

I do wonder how Jeff's friend on Hullabaloo (?) did that close to the surf line Sunday night.

-Sven

toddbrsd

Ex-Viking, Now Native American
Trying my darndess to get there!

Sven/Jeff,

I am pretty sure I will be taking my virgin trip to Two Harbors on June 10 with one or two other guys accompanying me. I just saw that it is possible to make a reservation on Thursday night at one of 4 moorings at the link below.

Having never been, can you tell me a little about each location? Pros/Cons if any.

Thanks

http://www.visitcatalinaisland.com/twoHarbors/mooring-reservations.php