• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Finally started a website for our adventure

Sven

Seglare
We've just taken our first tentative steps with a site served by a hosting company. Since 1995 we've always run all our own servers but as we'll be selling the house we won't be able to house and tend our own servers any more so now we're web-renters :)

We'll see how well we manage to keep the site current, especially considering how much equipment we've got stacked up and need to install, but we'll do our best:

http://www.grenander.com/

If you see something broken and have the time, please let us know. We aren't looking for any Webby awards but we also don't want to look trashy and broken :rolleyes:

Thanks,

-Sven

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Blogging along...

So far so good!
Just for comparison, have you been following Wally's "Blog Thing" part of his site?
http://www.wbryant.com/blog/index.php

http://www.sail-odyssey.blogspot.com/
This blog is for some other friends of ours from our yacht club.
Here we are in cold rainy Oregon and three (!) couples from our club are cruising Mexico... two in Cascade 36's and the other in a KP-44.

Of well, someone's got to do the hard work of Vicarious Living!
:rolleyes:

LB

Sven

Seglare
Thanks Loren.

Yeah we'll see how it goes. Like Wally, we've done our web design with text editors like BBEdit until now and using iWeb is definitely a new experience. I did try Homepage (?) when Apple first introduced it 10 (?) years ago but went back to text editors as WYSIWYG just wasn't up to it at the time. It is also scary to lose control over the servers and have someone else run them ... how do I know where the problem is if I can't Timbuktu into one of the Mac Minis over in the corner ?

I'm not sure if the iWeb blog is the way to go either or if we should get on one of the blog services and link to that instead.

So we're trying this brave new world and will just have to remember not to get caught up in the process but rather in the content and communicating our adventure. Plain text with interspersed pictures might be the best but I don't see that template on the menu :egrin:

In the meantime we'll do our best and hope anyone who is interested will just bear with us as we stumble along.

-Sven

Emerald

You might be interested in checking out SeaMonkey for your html editing. SeaMonkey is based off the same code base as FireFox, but has more features for the power-hungry. It includes an editor as well as browser and email and is cross-platform. In editor mode, you can toggle between 4 views of the page including raw html and a tag view. More info is here:

http://www.seamonkey-project.org/

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
I like the new site very much Sven.

I like the new site very much Sven. Book marked it! Very easy to navigate, easy to read, clean and simple. It's a bit slow loading though, especially on my corporate server. Better with my AT&T dsl at home.

Got to love Helvetica. Have you seen the movie yet? http://www.helveticafilm.com/

Although I am a Graphic Designer, I have little to no experience in engineering web sites. I am waiting for the technology to advance to more of a drag & drop click and build, which will become available soon. About 10 years ago I was learning Adobe Go Live. That's gone now, and Dreamweaver seems to be the standard app being used by Graphic Designers now. I have used it a bit, but it intimidates me. Thank Gawd I still have a job on the Printing side.

Nice Job.

Last edited:

Sven

Seglare
Thanks Jeff.

As long as you want to do what fits in a standard layout iWeb is remarkably easy to use for layout and authoring.

We had the 10' by 10' booth next to the Dreamweaver folks at MacWorld '75 ('76 ?) in Boston. I also have a copy of GoLive somewhere around here.

Thanks for the nice note :egrin:

-Sven

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Read you blog yesterday, and saw the photos of Senta II coming out of the yard. She looks beautiful! Scary shot of the wheel on the cradle coming off the track though. Glad disaster was averted!

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
In the first picture on your April 8 blog post the bottom of Senta looks like there are two different bottom paints; I can see the boot stripe, what looks like about one foot of a dark gray and then even darker black below that. Is the one foot area below the boot stripe a different paint or is it just another coat of the same paint that is below it?

Sven

Seglare
Thanks again Jeff.

Mark,

The boot stripe is the same captains navy as the cove stripe (sheer stripe ?).

The first coat of bottom paint was red as a signal coat. We may regret that but decided to try it. The second coat is black. Along the waterline there is yet another black coat since that's where most of the hull cleaning happens. That's the color that looks different, maybe the brush strokes were in a different direction or maybe it just hadn't cured as much ?

The derailing was indeed terrifying.

-Sven

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
That's what I thought.

I think the red undercoat is a good idea. My bottom now has a base of Interlux 2000 then red Trinidad SR. When it is painted again I will go to the black Trinidad SR. After that I could sand down to red then paint black and just keep doing that using the red as an indicator, not ever (hopefully) invading the underlying barrier coat and minimizing paint build-up. I really like the red, so in hindsight I probably should have started with black; oh well...

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
We've just taken our first tentative steps with a site served by a hosting company. Since 1995 we've always run all our own servers but as we'll be selling the house we won't be able to house and tend our own servers any more so now we're web-renters :)

We'll see how well we manage to keep the site current, especially considering how much equipment we've got stacked up and need to install, but we'll do our best:

http://www.grenander.com/

If you see something broken and have the time, please let us know. We aren't looking for any Webby awards but we also don't want to look trashy and broken :rolleyes:

Thanks,

-Sven

You know, with the blogging feature on this site, we can get you to blog here, and then pass it via your Facebook page or RSS if you're interested....

//sse

Sven

Seglare
Hi Sean,

You know, with the blogging feature on this site, we can get you to blog here, and then pass it via your Facebook page or RSS if you're interested....

//sse

Thanks for the suggestion. A nice offer that I'll definitely put on the list to think about.

-Sven