• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

High pressure floor inflatables?

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Hello All,
Considering a new inflatable dinghy with a high pressure air floor for a few reasons. I don't like towing a dink, slows the boat and puts the dink at risk. Hard dinks are great but heavy and again I don't want to tow. Forget davits, I can't ugly up my boat like that.

My existing dink is an old Achilles that has been fantastic but its a wood floor/air keel model and its heavy to muscle onto the foredeck. That leads me to one of the new high pressure floor inflatables. They are very light, easy to stow, etc. and even allow quick inflation/deflation so stowing/deployment is easy(r).

This will be the first season with the new baby and I need to make things as easy and simple as possible since now I will be doing a lot of things, like stowing/deploying the dink solo.

Any input on the high pressure floor inflatables would be appreciated.
TIA, RT

vbenn

Member III
Hi Rob

I have an 8 yr old Avon Rover R2.81 with inflatable floor. Frankly, I thought my old Achilles SPD-4FL was a better boat. The inflatable floor is convenient and comfortable to sit on, but after a couple of years exposure to sun and cleaning agents, its surface has become sticky, which of course attracts dirt. I solved this problem by covering it with a thin indoor/outdoor carpet material I bought at Home Depot. These floors are typically made of PVC while the rest of the boat is Hypalon.

Vince Benn
Wild Blue
E-380 #22

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Thanks for the input Vince. Actually the dink I buy will spend most of its life rolled up! My intention is to keep the dink stored below when not on the boat, secure it (rolled up) on deck when underway and inflate it when I need it. I'm on a dock now so I don't need a "mooring taxi" anymore. I know that the PVC can be trouble when out in the sun for too long....
RT

Shelman

Member III
Blogs Author
poly urithane

I built inflatables for 10 years and i personally will only own poly urethane, its welded seams instead of glued make for much less trouble and it is resistant to almost anything. poly urethane doesn't roll quite as small as hypalon or pvc because it stiffer but it also stays clean better. Just my opinion though.
-Shelman