• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

It is official, going cruising !

Sven

Seglare
As some of you know, Nancy and I have been hoping to go cruising for some time. We actually started talking about it shortly after our Baltic coast sailing honeymoon (the first time Nancy had ever sailed !) in 1978.

A few days ago invites were sent out for my retirement party at JPL. Nancy expects to have hers in about two months.

I've been at JPL almost 35 years and Nancy has been there for 40 and it is time to move on from robotic space exploration to crewed ocean exploration. For a funny but accurate description of why we have chosen this time see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2HeHfVSybo which describes the problems in the crewed program. The situation for the robotic program is not much better and the NASA R&D program which underlies it all and which I was part of got deleted under W and Griffin.

So, we are going cruising ! The house went on the market last week :scared:

We had hoped to have a few more years to turn Senta II from a day sailor into a cruiser, but in a few years we would probably hope to have a few more years to complete the job ... ad infinitum. So we are probably lucky to be nudging ourselves out of the nest.

We have an amazing amount of stuff left to do; heater, new rudder, new windlass installation, autopilot, water maker, SSB, Frigiboat, autopilot, Sextant, Cape Horn vane ... the list goes on and on and on. But we'll do it in some priority order and realize that we're never done !

Our immediate plans are to spend some/several months late this spring and early summer cruising locally between the off-shore islands and maybe up the coast a bit. We'll use this time to figure out the logistics of living and upgrading on the hook rather than mooring or slip.

We'll keep doing upgrades and chores while moored. What's better than doing chores in paradise ?

When the season is right we'll head down the coast, deciding about the stops as we go. Mexico, Costa Rica, Panama, Galapagos ... we'll decide as we go and get cruiser reports. After that probably a first crossing to Hawaii and then up to northern California or further up.

After we come back down the coast we'll head for the south pacific and hope to see New Zealand and maybe Australia. We'll continue clockwise around the Pacific for a second loop with details very sketchy right now.

After the second loop we'll decide about turning left or right to get to the Atlantic heading towards the Baltic. The only decision so far is that if we go East rather than West it will not be around the Horn.

Summers in the Baltic, winters in the Med ? Time in the Caribbean if piracy and crime is not an issue ? Up the East Coast to visit dear friends and family ?

Mast down European canal cruising ?

Since we have 10-15 years we'll play it by ear.

I think we are very lucky to have Senta II as the vehicle to make it all possible ... Bruce did a wonderful job !

At this point we are alternately terrified and excited but looking forward to it all and we'll have lots of questions for the EY.org community along the way.

"Make it so !"

-Sven

Last edited:

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Sounds like a great plan Sven. We are a couple of months ahead of you with selling the house and moving aboard but a few years behind when it somes to thowing off the lines. We also want to do some local cruising in Maine and the Canadian maritimes and also get across the pond to cruise the Baltic and Med.

As for the Carribean, BTDT on charter boats and not really excited to go back. We may do the ditch and the Bahamas though as we really liked the Abacos and want to go further down the chain.

Another possibility is to go around into the St. Laurence, across the lakes as far west as we can and truck the boat to Washington and cruise up to Alaska.

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Hooray! :clap: :egrin:

I am "terrified and excited" for you as well! Not to mention so envious! It's been wonderful getting acquainted with both of you via this site and several times in person. I remember reading about your early adventures sailing La Petite, your trusty little E-23 to remote places like little Santa Barbara Island and I have been inspired by your "Just Do It" perspective ever since. I am sure I will see you a few times before you cast off and with any luck I may be able to meet up with you both in some Far Out location with a Cruising Boat of my own.

Live the Dream Sven & Nancy

:cheers:

Beam Winds!

PS: Sven, I have some Charts you may be interested in. My Father collected them for years. He actually used a lot of them cruising the PNW, Canada & Alaska, but he also collected Baja, South Pacific, Indian Ocean and more. Gonna have to have you drop by and take a look. Some date back to the 60's, but others are from the early 90's.

Last edited:

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hey Sven and Nancy,

Pretty exciting! If you make it up to Santa Cruz let me know I'd like to stop by to see you.

Bummer about the space agency stuff. In my view it is one of the things that Government should promote. One of the web sites I check on daily is

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/all/

Good luck with your preparations.

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Congratulations!

Not that I really have any experience with this situation, but you might find you can do without a few of those items on your list after you cruise a while without them.

It's like an early St. Patrick's Day. Feeling kinda green -- with envy. Have fun out there.

EGregerson

Member III
Farvel Sven

Have a great time cruising....but try to be back in 10 years or so for the manned mission to Mars. Now that's cruisin'