• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

bottom paint

ozzie12

Member I
I need to pull my E29 from the water to change the prop, and I need to sand and recoat the bottom. I haven't done this since owning the boat (over a year now) and would really like to get a good look at the bottom, the zincs, the thru hull fittings, change the carrier bearing in the prop shaft strut, etc., etc.. But don't know where and the costs frighten me.
I am located on Harbor Island in San Diego Bay. Any suggestions along with comments on costs would be appreciated. I want to do the work myself, mainly to keep the costs down, but also, I think I can do more for less than a full service yard would.
Comments? Suggestions?

chtaylor

Member II
I, too, need to do my bottom pretty soon. Please let me know if you find a do-it-yourself boatyard.

I was looking for one awhile ago and all of those that I called here in the San Diego Bay area don't allow do-it-yourself. I once heard of one in Mission Bay, but I don't recall the name and, as I live in Chula Vista, I don't want to drive that far to do the work.

iwantone

Member II
My boat needs bottom paint as well and I'm thinking of doing it before I move her to Chula Vista. I would love to know what they quote you...

chtaylor

Member II
I got interested in the sublect, so I called around to a few places last Friday. The yards in the south bay and Driscoll on Shelter Island all want around $1100 for my E-32.

The least expensive by far is Driscoll on Mission Bay (not the same business as Driscoll Shelter Island). Joe quoted me $890. He said that all of the other yards in the area had recently raised their rates, but that he had not.

Charles

CSMcKillip

We had our hull botom paint done last June, late start to the season due to the owner of the marina. We paid twice the cost of what you stated, 2100.00 in fact. This incuded the haul out 3 quarts of bottom paint at 220.00 per can and 3 power washes before application. We did have two spots repaired on the hull, but the cost of the epoxy was about 200.00 for everything.

Land locked lake..........:egrin:

iwantone

Member II
my 78 E29 got pulled out of the water today by Driscolli

Here's the quote for the bottom paint 830

They let you work on the boat while it is out which is nice to

Attachments

• DSCN1431.jpg
    DSCN1431.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 574

Sven

Seglare
Nancy says his name is spelled Jorge :)

Did that quote include the haulout or was that another ~$300 ?

-Sven

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
I would be careful of unusually low quotes on bottom painting. I got a quote of about $1,200 almost two years ago for my 30+; this included the yard's "standard" bottom paint, which turned out to be crap. Six months later I had to make them repaint with better paint (Trinidad SR) and I paid the difference in the cost of the paint. I believe it turned out they were trying to get rid of a stock of paint that had been discontinued and several other boats had to be repainted as well.

It might be better to go ahead and pay the $200 difference for better paint in the first place since the labor is going to be the same anyway...

iwantone

Member II
I'll put the whole quote--haul out, bottom paint, inspection costs... After it is all done. There are always hidden costs and I don't want anybody to feel slighted.
Pictures to follow as well probably around mid-week.

ozzie12

Member I
bottom job

So, how did it turn out?

Any expensive surprises?

What was the total cost? and the individual costs?

toddbrsd

Ex-Viking, Now Native American
My First Haul Out

Seemed appropriate to contribute to this thread. Got a quote from Marina Shipyard (Long Beach) to paint the bottom at $1,017. After their December special which included a free haul out and 15% off bottom paint came out to $814. So I scheduled the work.

The hull had quite a few blisters, but the foreman said they were not severe enough to worry about at this point.

Here is the final breakdown including other work I had performed:

Haul Out (Free)
Extra Bottom Prep. $255
Clean and Paint Bottom $897
Replace Stuffing Box Packing $559
Replace 4 Thru Hulls and valves $1900

The shaft needed to be removed to replace the packing(??). I was ok with that since I wanted to replace the hose located at the hull. At that point I even requested they install the dripless shaft seal, but they said there was not physically enough room (??)

By this time, the boat had been on the hard for almost a month because of the rain and holidays so I just took their word for it so I could get it back in the water.

For those interested in the details, I have posted the invoice. It was a good chunk of change, especially right after the holidays, but the PO did not keep any maintenance records so I am starting from scratch.

Attachments

• 0134_001.pdf
    171.1 KB · Views: 184

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
The labor for the stuffing box seems a little excessive, but hey, what else is new considering it is a boatyard. Unless they had trouble getting the shaft coupling apart to remove the shaft. Mine had to have the bolts drilled out because it was so rusted. My total for barrier coat, bottom paint, new shaft coupling, stuffing box refurb and repack, new stuffing box hose, new cutless bearing, shim rudder post and clean/re-lube steering quadrant came to over 5K...until I screamed at them for doing some fiberglass work on the rudder without consulting me first and got them to knock off about $1,500.

Thankfully I didn't have any blistering...knock on FRP...

ozzie12

Member I
on the hard

Thanks for the info. I gather from the responses, that when I pull my boat out of the water, I had better be prepared for a bill around $5,000 before it goes back in. OUCH!!:esad:

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
Yeah, it sucks. If I lived where my boat is I would try to do more of that kind of work myself. As it is, anything that doesn't require a haul out I try to do myself.

iwantone

Member II
Hey Ozzie--- pulled into cabrillo marina today but accidently pulled into your marina and saw your boat.

890 dollars to pull the boat and paint it (we got a 10 percent discount because at the time we belonged to the hilton marina) HOWEVER
My brother (a former boat mechanic) fixed the all the small blisters and did the sanding.

KC rigging (great work) Re-did all the lifelines, replaced damaged posts and cleaned the working ones, replaced sail lines, rigged for single sailing

My brother redid the electrical lines, and replaced the carburatior, hose clamps, acid cleaned engine, new filters, repacked the driveshaft, rebuilt fuel system, electric pump in toilet head, replaced broken window, new rolling furl and new jib, re-furbished the seat cushions, new window curtains, new cleats, ...

Next step is to get the name painted on.

ANYBODY know of who can put the name on the back of a boat????

We are going with the name "LaFawnduh" from the movie napoleon dynamite.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 90

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Look in the local phone book for sign makers that do vinyl truck signs. They work much cheaper than "marine" sign makers.

They should also make full size paper samples for you to use to check size and placement on your transom.