• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Smart Phone Visibility while sailing.

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Smart Phone Visibility while sailing,

I recently upgraded my cell phone to a so called "Smart Phone", the "Samsung Reality". It's not a iPhone or a Droid, but it has some of the same features, like G3 connect & touch screen. I enjoy the new features but I have a really hard time seeing the screen in broad daylight while sailing. Do any of you with iPhones or Droid's have the same problem. Is there some kind of cover or filter that can be applied to the screen? I did purchase the scratch protective film that goes on the touch screen. That may be making the visibility worse.

Any ideas? :confused:

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

treilley

Sustaining Partner
I have an HTC Droid Incredible and it is pretty good in the sunlight. Although I have Navionics loaded on it I do not rely on it for navigation. I also have a screen protector which cuts down a little on the glare.

My previous phone was a Samsung Blackjack and it was impossible so see in direct sunlight and barely visible on bright cloudy days.

Goto your local cell phone store on a sunny day and take them outside to see how they perform.

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Good advice. I didn't think it would be such a problem. Got the new one free with a 2 year contract. Maybe I can trade it in.
I think there is a federal law that requires cell providers to allow returns for full refund within 30 days.

Mikebat

Member III
I don't navigate with my Droid Incredible, either. It sits inside recording my track for upload to Facebook. :) The screen is hard to see in direct sunlight, but at least it has a brightness control.

The motion of the boat does not make touch screens any easier to use.

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
I think I have had my phone too long to exchange it. It's funny because I can see other LCD devices like my iPod and monochrome GPS and other instruments just fine. I did buy a expensive screen protector for this phone and was wondering if that makes it worse.