• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Wilson the Buffalo

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Damn, that web cam used to update about every 15 minutes I thought. You can see Wilsons stuffed Great Grandad at the Banning House Lodge. At least his heads hanging on the wall.

I met this Guy on my flight back from Seattle last month when we were flying over Catalina, he told me that it's again legal to hunt Mule Deer on the Island again. With guided groups from White's Landing. I haven't seen anything on the web about it though. He said they need to thin out the herd.

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
I am sure there will be a lot of Bambi hunters there for Buccaneer Days. If you are over there this weekend Sven, keep an eye out for Capt. UpChuck, he's sailing his MacGregor 22 over this am. Say A prayer for the Hullabaloo.

Sven

Seglare
Jeff,

this is a work on Senta in the slip weekend :)

I think Buccaneer days are the first week of October, right ? That we want to avoid.

-Sven

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
I believe you are correct on the Buccaneers Day date Sven.

Alas I wont be there because I am going to be attending Yoko Ono's extravaganza http://imaginepeace.com/archives/11930 :clap::musicalno:clap::musicalno

Here a must see clip from last years Buccaneers Day festivities: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jEpOaBHqvQ&feature=player_embedded#!
:headb::scared::eek: Or this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mf6PKzgn7A&feature=related

Here's the Two Harbors Calendar: http://www.visitcatalinaisland.com/twoHarbors/Calendar.php#october

Last edited:

Glyn Judson

We're heading over to the Isthmus.

All, Well it's finally happened, Marilyn and I are headed over to the Isthmus. We'll leave Marina del Rey around noon on Monday Sept 20 and return on Friday Sept 24. Anyone else planning to be there then? If so look for the Dawn Treader to be on the west side up against the wall. Cheers, Glyn

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
All, Well it's finally happened, Marilyn and I are headed over to the Isthmus. We'll leave Marina del Rey around noon on Monday Sept 20 and return on Friday Sept 24. Anyone else planning to be there then? If so look for the Dawn Treader to be on the west side up against the wall. Cheers, Glyn

I would love to as soon as I can get a torch or bolt cutter to break this titanium chain holding me to this desk. :mad:

Glyn Judson

1. Spent the week at the Isthmus 2. Wilson

Jeff and all, We just got home later this afternoon after a delightful four days on the boat at Isthmus Cove, Catalina Island on mooring Bravo 12, just a perfect spot. We had two days of slight overcast and two spectacular days of sun and 70 degree temps. The best part was that the place was almost deserted but won't be this weekend if the flotilla we saw headed over from Marina del Rey and King Harbor was any indicator. And forget the weekend after next, Buccaneer Days with loud music, booze to excess and general mayhem. Now, about Wilson the buffalo. I got word from one of the Harbor Patrolmen this morning that old Wilson is getting just that, very old. Apparently he's dragging his hind hooves about six inches each time he slowly plods along, not a good sign. I don't know if it's the same as in dogs but the canine version is called wobblers and the signs are similar. http://www.petplace.com/horses/the-wobbler-syndrome-wobbles/page1.aspx. It just gets progressively worse until the dog can no longer stand. So let's send good thoughts to good old Wilson and wish for him that he not suffer too much discomfort as his days dim. Glyn

Sven

Seglare
We waited until Glyn and Marilyn left and then we headed over.

A very nice single tack over on Friday in sunshine. We wanted to be away from the crowds on the west side so we picked up Juliet 3 and it was very pleasant.

We saw Voice Of Reason shortly before we left (they cruised by as they were leaving) and she's a really pretty boat !

The sail home today was slow but beautiful. We sailed in 7-10 knot winds and only started the engine back up when there was a report of a sailboat taking on water a mile ahead of us. Turns out Baywatch was en route and got there before we did.

Of course, once we came through Angels gate (side by side with Evergreen Envoy, a fully loaded container ship and its two tugs) we read a high of 30 knots relative wind speed ! Exciting return to say the least.

-Sven

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Sounds like you and Marilyn had a very pleasant week Glyn. Whish I could have been there. Yeah, I have no interest in being a Buccaneer.

Thanks for the Wilson update. Sounds like his days are numbered, but what a nice life he has had. Ralph who was the Harbor Patrol guy at Cat Harbor last year, told me all about old Wilson. He said that he was ousted from the herd a few years ago by younger bulls. Ralph also said that the rest of the heard is fenced off from the Isthmus and that the Conservancy does not want anyone to give feed or water to old Wilson, and to just let him graze. I guess he's not really supposed to be there. Ralph also told me at that time (last August) that Wilson had a large visible tumor. I didn't notice anything. I got pretty acquainted with Wilson when I stayed at Cat Harbor for a week last Aug. I think I already posted this encounter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxQqKrGnG20

Jeff and all, We just got home later this afternoon after a delightful four days on the boat at Isthmus Cove, Catalina Island on mooring Bravo 12, just a perfect spot. We had two days of slight overcast and two spectacular days of sun and 70 degree temps. The best part was that the place was almost deserted but won't be this weekend if the flotilla we saw headed over from Marina del Rey and King Harbor was any indicator. And forget the weekend after next, Buccaneer Days with loud music, booze to excess and general mayhem. Now, about Wilson the buffalo. I got word from one of the Harbor Patrolmen this morning that old Wilson is getting just that, very old. Apparently he's dragging his hind hooves about six inches each time he slowly plods along, not a good sign. I don't know if it's the same as in dogs but the canine version is called wobblers and the signs are similar. http://www.petplace.com/horses/the-wobbler-syndrome-wobbles/page1.aspx. It just gets progressively worse until the dog can no longer stand. So let's send good thoughts to good old Wilson and wish for him that he not suffer too much discomfort as his days dim. Glyn

Dave Neptune

Member II
New guy

Jeff, yes Wilson does have a tunmor on his left side I think. It is quite noticeable even from a bit of a distance. He has been hanging around the Isthmus for a few years now since being cut from the heard which is fenced in now. They did get loose in the fire last year and there were a few still loose on the west end earlier this summer. I'll see him this weekend as I will be spendig 4 days in Cat Harbor for a club cruise and the Buccaneer days.
Looking forward to playing on this site now that i'll have a bit more time.
Do any of the E~guys get together at Catalina from time to time?

Dave Neptune:cool:

Glyn Judson

Ericson sailors meeting at the west end.

Dave, In our own fractured ways, we all try to meet as often as we can. I'm impressed and appreciative with all of us SoCal guys and gals when they post their plans to visit the island with the explicit assumption that the rest of us are welcome. The only major exception for me would be Buccaneer Days, Arrrh! All I can say is that you're a brave, brave man to go there next weekend. Cheers, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marin del Rey, CA

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Welcome Dave,

Yes a few of us have got together in the past. We had a pretty good gathering on Mother's Day weekend in May of 2009. Must have been about 11 E-Boat crews ranging from Don's 26 to Sven & Nancy's 39. We tried to do it this past May but the weather was pretty rough so most of us (myself included) canceled. As I recall it was only Don and Sven & Nancy who braved it last May.

I think there was another small gathering about 6 or seven years ago, but I was not part of that. I have run into other's from this site over there on a few other visits.

Have a save passage with the Buccaneer's this weekend!

Jeff, yes Wilson does have a tunmor on his left side I think. It is quite noticeable even from a bit of a distance. He has been hanging around the Isthmus for a few years now since being cut from the heard which is fenced in now. They did get loose in the fire last year and there were a few still loose on the west end earlier this summer. I'll see him this weekend as I will be spendig 4 days in Cat Harbor for a club cruise and the Buccaneer days.
Looking forward to playing on this site now that i'll have a bit more time.
Do any of the E~guys get together at Catalina from time to time?

Dave Neptune:cool:

toddbrsd

Ex-Viking, Now Native American
Welcome (Back?)

Dave,

Glad to see your getting active on this site. Look forward to your many contributions. If you remember, we talked a couple of weeks ago about my A4. Stop by if your walking by Joe's and see me.

Your AB and HB Neighbor
Gangway 21