• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Today...

Sven

Seglare
Looks like fun !

We just came back in yesterday after a nice sail with some detours among more feeding blue whales ! Inside Hurricane Gulch we clocked 28 kts while doing 4 (under power), that's why we took the sails down :egrin:

What a strange weather week. Only had sun at the Isthmus on Friday, the rest of the time it was not only cool but cloudy too :esad:

-Sven

toddbrsd

Ex-Viking, Now Native American
Nice

Jeff,

I took a solo run around the islands in Long Beach yesterday. I forgot to check the Sailflow website for wind predictions. I just checked and according to Weather Underground, it averaged about 15 knots when I was out. I had both the main and 140 fully unfurled. I don't have a wind speed indicator on board. But I should have known something was amiss when heeled over, I was able to basically put one foot comfortably on the side of the cockpit! Actually I am glad I was solo so I didn't have to worry about guests freaking out!

BTW, my knotmeter is not working. According to my GPS, I was doing 6+ knots.

I attached a picture I took, now I need to try the video function.

Man this is fun!

Attachments

• CIMG0801.jpg
    CIMG0801.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 70
  • CIMG0802.jpg
    CIMG0802.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:

Mikebat

Member III
I saw and waved at Sven and Nancy Saturday as I was heading to the Isthmus. I motorsailed to get some westing and was able to sail to the Isthmus from about the middle of the shipping lanes. Some racers, including Aries the blue LP hull E32-3 that sails out of Cabrillo, sailed past me and dodged a big container ship.

I used Navionics on my Android phone to record my track and some photos. I hadn't used this app before, it's pretty neat. Check it out. $9.99 for the app and $9.99 for the electronic chart for the West Coast down to Cabo San Lucas. I think they have one for iPhone/iPod too.

The wind was already up at the Isthmus at 8 in the morning on Sunday. It was coming in directly from 30 deg, right on the nose for heading back. But that direction was very local, a bit off Cherry it was coming from the north and I got a nice beam reach all the way back, until I took the sails down outside the gate. I could tell it was really blowing like stink in the gulch. But it was a really nice trip, if a bit cool and wet.

Attachments

• beam_reach.jpg
    beam_reach.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 62
  • aries.jpg
    aries.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 65
  • starbuck.jpg
    starbuck.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:

Sven

Seglare
Mike,

I saw and waved at Sven and Nancy Saturday as I was heading to the Isthmus.

I think that was after our whale encounter, when we were sailing under main only ? Even under main only we still sailed at 4-4.5 knots from the whale feeding off Point Fermin down to Angels gate. Inside the gate it was the typical hurricane so we dowsed the main and started the engine.

Nancy had her camera out so she got a shot of you on your way out.

You must have gotten to the Isthmus around 4-5 PM ?

-Sven

Attachments

• Mike's Valinor.jpg
    Mike's Valinor.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 64

Mikebat

Member III
Sven said:
You must have gotten to the Isthmus around 4-5 PM ?

The Navionics track I uploaded from my phone says:

San Pedro to Isthmus Cove Sept. 11 2010
Start Time: 11/09/10 11.36
End Time: 11/09/10 15.51
Active track info
Distance: 22.71 NM
Total Time: 4H15'
Average Speed: 5.34 kts

So yeah, just before 4pm. And I saw the whales just after passing you guys.

I didn't have the presence of mind to take out my camera to shoot Senta II. Sorry! :(

Last edited:

CSMcKillip

Navionics

I have navionics on andriod also, just 9.99. The download takes some time to get over the phone, great app. If you have two android phone as my wife and I do you can download on both phones if on the same gmail account. My HTC EVO has a huge screen. Also try tracks by google, its free and plays back your track over google maps with a speed option, really fun.

Meanolddad

Member III
Glad to see so many Ericsons were out to play. We went out and sailed under full main alone and later reefed the main. Wife was not happy so we went back behind the breakwater and found a pod of small dolphins or porpoises to watch. Great day for a sail. Thanks for the video Jeff, looks like you were having a ball.

Greg

windjunkee

Member III
We sailed Voice of Reason from Ventura to Redondo Beach on Saturday. Put up the chute around 1 pm and didn't take it down until 8 pm. Windspeeds ranged from 14 to 24 knots, our boatspeed never dropped below 6 the entire time and hit speeds in excess of 10 knots. It was a great sail!

Jim McCone
Voice of Reason E-32 Hull #134
Redondo Beach, CA

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Well there was no shortage of wind or Ericson's over the weekend, that's for sure. When I headed out of Cabrillo I thought about putting in a reef before I left because I had about 11 knots in my slip. So when I headed out I just furled up the jib a bit. Once I got out to where those dredging barges were I realized I was really over powered so I headed up the main channel to where I could put a reef in. Headed back out and passed the Angeles Gate at about 1:30. When I shot that vid with my cell phone I was on a reach towards Avalon. With a single reef and only a postage stamp of a jib unfurled I was hitting sometimes close to 7 knots on the gps in 25 knots of wind. After I got a couple miles away from the Gate things started settling down to around 18 knots. I saw a couple larger boats flying kites just plowing along eastward.

Once again I am so impressed with my old boat. I went below briefly and listen to the creeks and groans of the stresses on the hull and bulkhead. I as well was glad I was alone Todd. It's just so much easier in that kind of wind not to have passengers. It would have been nice to have at least one other crew member with at least as much experience as I to make it a little easier, but probably not as much fun or challenging.

And to think I almost thought of staying on the couch and watching football. Naw, ain't gonna happen. :egrin:

Cute shot of Starbuck Mike. How's he working out as crew?

Last edited:

Glyn Judson

Yesterday's sailing.

All, I too was on the water yesterday but in much lighter air. It was the occasion of the third annual Eye Can Sail, an informal meeting of several women's groups in Marina del Rey who have worked hard to make this event happen and get bigger each year. This was my second time to participate. The purpose of it all it to get visually impaired and blind folks out on the water for the day and for many of them to get out at all. My best guess is that we had 20 or more folks respond to the invitation. They were assigned to a fleet of close to 10 sailboats, ours included. We left the Santa Monica Yacht Club a bit after 10AM and headed north to round the Santa Monica bell buoy and visit all the harbor seals sunning on it. My one blind crew and three other "sighted buddies" thoroughly enjoyed all of it and by close to 3PM we were back at the Club for raffle drawing, and food, all of which was provided for skippers crew and blind guests at no cost. I had my guide dog in training with me and the only other working dog and her blind handler was assigned my boat for the second year in a row. As an aside, in many cases if a blind person has a sighted buddy available for an errand or a day out, they may elect to leave their guide dog at home. Additionally only 7% of the visually impaired and blind community elect to use guide dogs, thus the fact that I had the only working dog aboard yesterday. Winds were extremely light and only finally picked up after we returned to the slip (naturally). So we combined light air sailing with sporadic use of the engine throughout. All in all, it was a wonderful day and we all had a great time. Cheers to all, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marin del Rey, CA

Mikebat

Member III
I have navionics on andriod also, just 9.99.

If anyone else is interested in getting this app for an Android phone, let me pass along a tip: the chart pack for the US West Coast covers Vancouver Island all the way south to Cabo San Lucas. But the chart for Mexico and Central America includes the southern US coast, from Pt. Conception south. So if you plan to sail south, and not north, get the Mexico chart and save yourself another 9.99 chart download.

That should apply to the Mac, PC and iPhone versions too, since they all use the same chart sets.

I like the new business model for repackaging NOAA charts. Way cheaper than before, so cheap I don't mind paying for a set for the Mac, the PC and the Android phone. Might be able to get the charts for the PC and Mac by logging into my Google App store account though. Will have to see.

Last edited:

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
It was the occasion of the third annual Eye Can Sail, an informal meeting of several women's groups in Marina del Rey who have worked hard to make this event happen and get bigger each year.

What a wonderful thing to do Glyn. It must have been very special for your special passengers.