• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

bigger sink?

joncyn

We'll be moving aboard our 35mkIII in a couple of months and have been thinking about options for a little larger sink at least one a decent sized pan would fit in, any ideas? has anyone swapped out for a larger any help or suggestions would be great

Thanks Cyn

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Maybe a smaller pan...?

We'll be moving aboard our 35mkIII in a couple of months and have been thinking about options for a little larger sink at least one a decent sized pan would fit in, any ideas? has anyone swapped out for a larger any help or suggestions would be great

Thanks Cyn

From looking at a few other E-35-3's on YW, it looks like the stock sink is a single sink, pretty good sized, and it takes up most of the obvious room on that countertop to starboard as you descend into the cabin.
(Sidebar: this may be the only advantage my double-sink Olson has over your lovely yacht!) :)

Seriously tho..... can you measure the cutout size and also the possible depth if a new sink could be fitted? Note that you still have to have room for the drain fittings...
Post up the inside measurements and depth of the sink you have now, too.

A double sink might fit into that spot, if the counter cutout could perhaps be enlarged a bit. Our boat has a deep sink and I would consider maximum depth a good thing if living aboard. It's difficult enough to keep the soapy water contained, as it is now.

I was looking thru the Scandvik online catalog before I decided to economize and have our existing sink buffed out and polished. http://www.scandvik.com/index.cfm/method/Shopping_Sinks/id/4.htm

Any large plumbing supply center might have good choices, too.
Perhaps a larger single sink could be fitted, as an alternative, but I sure prefer a double sink for washing and rinsing...

Best of luck, and do post up some "before" pictures, and then work-in-progress pictures.

Loren

Last edited:

joncyn

Loren

thanks for the reply ,yeah my solution was the same as yours smaller pan but that really didn't fly.......... I think what will happen is I'll have to go with and under-counter type it gives me wore room that the original self rimming type and a single hole type valve its kinda of a tight fit but hey its a boat. I do have another mystery maybe you can help with ? we have a spout for a foot pump in the head but no pump i traced the line to behind the shower but can't figure out anything from there got and ideas ?????????

thanks again

Sven

Seglare
Rectangular stuff

Cyn,

We went with rectangular shapes for everyday use. Round pans and plates are overrated :)

We still have a huge (for our sink) pressure cooker and matching frying pan but put those away for occasional use while we use the small camping round pots and rectangular full-size pans and plates every day. We can even make toast in the rectangular frying pan (expensive !! but we need only one).

41WNbBbi0eL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

41QNVBWAWBL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

-Sven

Cory B

Sustaining Member
sinks & pans

Sven -
Square plates and pans? Ingenious!

Joncyn -
Yah, the sink on the 35-3 is deceptively small. It can be tricky piling up and washing our plates in there. I looked once, and there's room for a slightly larger sink. I looked in some catalogs and couldn't find anything that would work. If you find something, please share and you'll have our eternal gratitude. Oh, and our boat does not have a footpump in the head, it sounds like something a previous owner may have added for some mysterious reason.

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Joncyn, I did this upgrade to my 35-3 a few years ago. Here is more info:

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=5814&highlight=sink

I had some SS bolts welded to the underside of the 4 corners so I could bolt it down. I used closed cell adhesive weatherstrip tape to seal under the edges.

Here is a photo of the finished project:
PICT0001.jpg

BTW, the extra spigot in the head is the air vent for the water tanks.

Feel free to contact me directly to discuss.

Last edited:

joncyn

Thanks Tim

It looks great we'll be getting one of these and taking it down to the boat on our next trip really elegant solution, by the way can shed any light on what looks like a foot pump spout in the head but seems to disappear behind the shower, is it just for looks !!!!!!!
Thanks again
Jon

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Vent trivia

Apropos those chrome-brass spigots you always see in the 80's Ericson galley's...
One is for the outside water foot pump and the other (and sometimes two others) is for the venting for the fresh water tanks.
Our boat came with this vent setup -- one on the head counter for the aft water tank and one on the galley counter for the settee water tank. I have removed both, over the years.

Each tank now has the vent under the cabinetry located where, in the very likely event the water would surge that far, it would splash into an area that drains to the bilge.
This cleaned up the counter tops a lot.
Unusual as the Ericson scheme might seem, it beats the heck out of the C&C practice of venting these to the sides of the hull where they could inhale sea water when rail down in big waves.

LB

ps: if I use a square fry pan am I more likely to eat three square meals a day?
:)

Last edited:

Slick470

Member III
I was wondering why there was an extra spigot in the head... now I know.

Is it common to have a pressure water spigot and a flipper style spigot in the head as well? Is the flipper style in case you don't have the pressure water on?

Thanks - Andy

joncyn

Wow another mystery solved you are certainly right about the C&C set-up our previous boat was a C&C 34 and we did have to deal with that by the my wife/nurse assures me that eating out of square pans and plates is an excellent way to get three squares a day.

Cheers