• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

More choices to make

Bob in Va

Member III
This one ought to stir things up a bit. I ordered a furler, a genoa, and a mainsail and am looking forward to seeing how the new setup works out in the fall racing series. Since the furler has a single groove luff, and since I will have only one sail with a luff tape to fit the furler anyway, I won't be making headsail changes. Or at least I won't be dropping the genoa. My boat sails pretty stiff - I've never put a reef in the main, though I have on occasion needed to change headsails when the wind really got up. My question is this: consider a day which starts off with light winds that eventually build to more than, say, 20 kts. What is to keep me from furling the genoa all the way up, running a length of low-stretch, small diameter stuff like Spectron 12 up from the bow on a spare halyard, hanking on my working jib, and having at it? I know it would have some sag, but it would be better than nothing (or would it?) The alternative, which is probably the better choice, is to reef the main and furl the genoa as needed. We don't race if the wind is over 25 kts, but I like to go out in such conditions if I can find a crew.

sailingdeacon

Member III
I once had the same thoughts, but alas, it won't work worth a didly. Pointing is awful. Huge sag. My advice: make your best effort at sail selection and go with it.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Furler Curiosity

I am not questioning your choice of a single groove furler... but do admit to being curious as to how you arrived at that choice. I went with the Harken setup for our boat. It came to us with a Tuff Luff double-foil, and we decided that neither of us wanted to lug a genny to the foredeck and feed it on, while someone else cranked on the halyard... with yards of loose genny wandering around the foredeck and into the water...
:(
Besides, I like to single-hand sometimes.

I would have alternatively chosen either a Schaefer or one of the other top-rated systems, but decided that double-grooves would be good, along with a removable drum, if the next owner (someday!) might want want to race and/or just go for that last couple of nano-knots of speed to weather.
:)
Then, I liked the "foil section" for general efficiency, and that eliminated a couple of other worthy contenders.

So far, after over 7 years, the Mk 2 Harken is doing fine.
:cool:
So, what kinda furler did you choose? And, what overlap of genny are you going to use everyday? We bought a new 135 along with the Harken, since the genny that came with the boat was old and tired out and not really worth converting, IMHO.
The only thing I have learned so far is that I do need another headsail for winds over 20 kts, when rolling in the 135 is getting too inefficient. Maybe a 100 or a 110, when the budget allows. I do not want to go offshore with so much headsail up there!
:rolleyes:

Best,
Loren in Portland, OR
Olson 34 #8

sailingdeacon

Member III
I wasn't clear in my response. I have a dual luff feed Harken. It came with my boat. Previous boats had a dual and also a single. But in all cases, I've never used the second feed. I suppose the only reason is for dual headsails downwind or racing where sail exchange is done on the fly. -- I don't plan on either. So I really did not need dual feeds. I agree with your decision and see your logic but.... as to the removal drum and racing: SOunds super and will be for a true racer, but I ran into the issue that if you are really gonna race seriously you need a full hoist sail (sails?) which attach to the tack at the deck and are therefore not built to furl. So assuming you do want a furling sail for cruising, you have a cost delimma. For my second sail, I chose a used 155 light genoa that is furling attached and does not have leach protection. I race quite well with it and can simply furl it at race end - which is time for beer anyway. Of course for heavier winds I have to go with my furling 135 with leach protection. In any event you are stuck with a racing problem since you and I would probably not set up to raise one sail while lowering the other - even if we had full hoists sails!! And as I said, trying to race with a loose luff is not acceptable. So for us a dual feed furling luff has no value - and unless you are going to have sets of sails for racing and also cruising what difference do any of the furling options make anyway. It gets down to deciding whether you are cruising or sailing or well off enough to be both.

My '87 E34 is powered pretty much by the headsail only. I have a 135 furling leach protected rather heavy sail. Over 18 knots apparent the main is either reefed or let loose. This is fine for upwind racing but the downwing leg needs the full main -so reefing is out unless it is a real blow. Beyond that wind speed I start needing a 110 or so but I don't have one. I simply furl the jib or don't race - or if cruising I furl. I am in somewhat protected waters so overcanvased sails are not a real problem.

So you can see it is all a compromise if one is a cruiser and a racer who is without unlimited funds. (And of course we have not even discussed dacron vs. high tech.) Around here we are seeing the growith of "cruising phrf" races where furling gear is given more phrf time and high tech sails are not allowed. This for sure helps part time racers like me.

Hope I addressed your questions.