• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

engine/trans for Ericson32 ?

jdean

i am looking at an 1968 Ericson 32 that is in good shape except for the engine/trans which are orig. (gas) trashed and need to be replaced.
i would like to have a rebuilt diesel and matching tranni installed.
can anyone offer me suggestions on doing this...best engine (pent,yammer or?) for this boat and or boatyard that is familiar with repowering these boats in the bay area?
the boat is in San Rafael … will need to be towed...
any personal experience ,advice or suggestions will be much appreciated.

thanks

Guy Stevens

Talk to List Marine

Tom List is a great guy... Honest and reliable.... If you are looking at a repower he is who I would talk to in the bay area!

No connections, just know him and have referred other clients to him. All of them have been happy.

Guy
:)

jdean

Tom List

Thanks for your input Guy. How do i go about contacting mr. List? where is he located? is he an online presence?

jdean

thanks for the list url... i will stop by gate five and see what they say abt repowering for me and if he sells second hand or rebuilt engines . i dont thimk i can afford a new yanmar!

Last edited:

ChrisS

Member III
Have you assessed the gas engine?

Can you save the engine? There's a guy at the San Rafael Boatyard who specializes in working on old gas engines (although he works on diesels too). He's got a workshop on the left side just as you enter the yard. I have his card somewhere, so if you are interested, PM me for his phone number.

A diesel conversion just doesn't mean a new engine, but stringers, mounts, exhaust, prop, etc. If I were in your shoes I'd see if it's possible to save what's there before taking on a conversion.

My $.02.

jdean

i really don't like gas on a boat . the fumes seem to make any enclosed space a potential bomb... diesel dosnt smell as bad (to me) and dosn't have such a low flashpoint. thats my main reason for changing plus the fact that the current gas engine is pretty trashed...

tenders

Innocent Bystander
Are you looking at a '68 Ericson 32-2? That would be one of the first models. I have a '69 and it's hull number 112, the twelfth such hull made.

Or is it an Ericson 32 "Scorpion," Ericson's first 32?

You will probably spend double what the boat is worth to swap to a diesel engine, even a used engine. As others have pointed out, it's not just the engine, it's the mounts on which the engine sits, the propeller strut, the transmission, the tanks, the propeller, possibly the exhaust...the whole ball of wax is designed to the geometry of the existing engine and transmission, and no other engine will drop in.

The gasoline Atomic Four, on the other hand, if that's what's in this boat, if it's in half-decent shape, is rebuildable in your garage by someone with minimal mechanical expertise and there is amazing parts and moral support at Moyer Marine (moyermarine.com). Or you can have somebody else rebuild it for you to factory specs for a couple grand.

These engines can be caked in rust with all four cylinders frozen in place, with sheets of rust falling off the bottom of the oil pan, and be rebuilt as good as new. You can retrofit it with electronic ignition and never gap a set of points again, and install an exhaust recirc system that will eliminate any exhaust smell from the entire boat.

Although the original manufacturer is not around to defend it any more, the A4 has an amazingly robust design and was built from the beginning as a sailboat auxiliary engine. And as millions of inboard- and outboard powerboaters know, gasoline is actually a great fuel with which to power a medium-sized boat.

jdean

you've seen the engine! thats a perfect description... it looks like it will be expensive either way... thanks for your opinion . i may try an outboard for a while -

wurzner

Member III
I had an atomic 4 in mine and had not issues with it (I have a 38 with a diesel now). If I were downsizing and ended up in a 32 again, I would not hesitate about an A4. New tank and lines, run the blower, and off to the races! I have posted to this here before if you research it...breakerless points, carry a spare coil and fuel pump and you are in business. The majority of boat under 35 feet are gas (power boats that is) and you rarely hear of issues. When you do, it was a moron who didn't run his blower and started it up in hot weather....the rest is self explanatory. I repowered my 38 and it ran ~16K. I would suspect you would will be looking at 12K since the only difference would be a less expensive engine due to lower HP's, the labor will stay the same.

A diesel powered boat will sell a lot easier due to folks who won't consider gas, but you will recoup very little of your investment. If you don't mind that, go with diesel but I would consider the gas engine if you can get it running for a fraction of a repower.

Good Luck,

Shaun

Matey

Member III
jdean,

I can understand your desire for a diesel. My A4 was falling off it's rusted mounts when I bought my 32. But I found what has been outlined here in regards to a diesel replacement.
I pulled the A4 out (with my boom) .. loaded it on a dolly and off to my truck. Went through it in my garage with Moyer's parts. With half the money a diesel would have run me, I replaced the mounts, fuel tank & lines, all the plumbing and completly rebuilt the steering in addition. I'm very happy with the outcome. But I'd prefer a diesel too.
As is often the case .. within months of the mechanical work I ran into issues with the rig & compression post that got quite pricey and tapped out my man fund. Such is boats.

Good luck .. keep us posted

Greg

fyi .. not to start a fight, but List Marine did a couple grand in work chasing fuel problems on my engine for the previous owner and never got it right. I have the receipts. It only needed an air leak fixed, some new fuel and a piece of rubber seal cleared from the carb.

Attachments

• 1 002.jpg
    1 002.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 82