• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Microwave "fit" problem

Blue Chip

Member III
I'm getting desperate, and this is my last resort.
After ??? years the microwave went out on Blue Chip. The Timer Dial (on off switch) started to smell, so we unpluged it. Smells like some wires fried. The problem is the space available is limited (of course) and cannot be enlarged by much.
I can find one to fit in the hole as far as width...(18 inches), but I CANNOT find one under 10 inches tall.
I've called every dealer I know of, and a half a dozens mfgs and no dice. When I do find one small enough, there is always a notation..NO LONGER MFG.
Any ideas? We just re-heat and that, but we spend 4-5 days a week on it in the summer and fall, and man, it is part of our lifestyle. If I can solve this problem I will make BIG points. HELP!!!:esad:

Emerald

what are your three critical dimensions (HxWxD)? Is it 110V? I've got an old one that I think is probably a tad too big, but worth measuring. Also have some friends I can bug who I think have some old microwaves kicking around. Other thoughts would be eBay/Craig's list. Is it time to find an RV junk yard and scavenge one?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Found on Google...

Avanti MO8004MST 700-Watt Counter Top Microwave Oven with Mirror Finis
Overview - Compare prices - Details - Related items

$46 new from 73 sellers
700 Watts 10 power levels and 6 pre-programmed cooking modes 0.8 Cu. Stainless steel door handle Digital display and clock 99 minute cooking / kitchen timer Child safety lock 10.25" H x 18" W x 14.25" D Power: 115 V / 60 Hz Stylish counter top microwave with a mirror finish.

Found on Google, searching on Small Microwave Oven. Height is 10 1/4".
Seems possible....

LB

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 396

Blue Chip

Member III
Yeh, it is always the same problem. The Height. I have a comfortable width of 18...the old one is about a foot deep, but I can fudge on that as it sits on a counter with a litttle room to play with.
BUT, as to height..I am locked in to no more than 9 1/2.

Anything I have found is almost, or slightly over 10 inches.

I took it to a repair guy today and we are going to see what we can do with the old switch. He is hopimg to find an after market company that has parts for it.This is going to cost...but hot chocolate in the morning on the Bay is worth it..I think.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Plan B, maybe

As to height... here's a random thought...
Since the mfgr correctly (we presume) measures it for a total with the little rubber/plastic feet under it...
I recall that those little feet are there to prevent marring counter tops and to allow air circulation to a vent opening on the bottom of the case.

So, remove those feet and gain back the needed 1/2 (+) inches you need. If ventilation is a need for that particular model, put a vent open in your mounting floor/countertop that matches the bottom of the microwave.
Maybe the model in the ad is configured that way, and maybe not, but it's a possibility.
:confused:

LB

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
the way I found mine was to take a tape measure to Target and Wallmart. The actual cabnet height does very quite a bit. I found a couple that I could MAKE fit the hole. Good Luck, Edd