• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Port lights

John Yandow

Member I
I have 7 port lights on Mean Jean, and all the gaskets need to be replaced. The style that is installed have the screen integrated into the gasket groove. I called Bomar and was told my port lights where only put on a few Ericson 35s. I got the part# for the replacement gasket, but I am unsure how I want to put the new gasket and screens back in. I would like to come up with a removable screen. Does anyone have these style ports, if so what have you done? By the way the gasket come with a self adhesive backing.

Here are some pics, sorry not clearer, there're video snapshots.

http://home.adelphia.net/~jyandow/Boat/port2.jpg

http://home.adelphia.net/~jyandow/Boat/port1.jpg

Thanks

Ray Rhode

Member III
Port light gaskets

John,

I have the same ports and need to replace one of the screens. I would be interested in the part number for the gasket. I have (somewhere) a description of the replacement proceedure. As soon as I can find it I'll send it to you.

Ray

Ray Rhode

Member III
John,

This was posted by Randy Peterson a year ago. He has replaced his screens several times and this is what works for him.

"Step 1. Clean the ½ inch radius groove to a like new condition.

Step 2. Cut the new gasket to length and make the length cut on the bias (45 degrees).

Step 3. Glue the new gasket with "super glue".

Step 4. Cut the new piece of screen, use MARINE grade nylon, and cut at least 2 inches larger than the port.

Step 5. Smear blue into the groove. Used Boat life Black Life Caulk (Polysulfide).

Step 6. Carefully place screen into groove. KEEP GLUE OFF THE SCREEN OPENING.

Step 7. Place the new gasket into the groove on top of the screen and hold in place with pieces of masking tape.

Two people make the job a lot easier. Make sure the glued joint is at the TOP.

Carefully close the port to apply pressure to the new seal.

Use care as to keep Polysulfide from getting on the port Lexan surface.

Let cure for 2 days and trim excess screen with a razor knife."

John Yandow

Member I
Gasket Part#

Ray,

The part number for the gasket is P100-51 and it comes with a self adhesive backing. You can purchase this gasket at any Boat US or West Marine store. I got mine at West Marine, it's not cheap.

Wow, a procedure would be great.

Thanks

John Yandow

Member I
Screen replacement

Hi,
I've been thinking, there has got to be a better way.....I tried the gasket and screen replacement described above, what a mess. I ended up just installing the new gasket with no screen, (to stop it from leaking), the old gaskets are all flat. I've been thinking about these ports for weeks now, trying to come up with a new screen design.....no luck yet, not I have some ideas.

The other day I was helping my dad replace a broken screen in his door and it hit me, maybe I could tuck the screen between the gasket and the frame. See the new gasket I received from Bomar has an adhesive backing, I installed it per the direction supplied by Bomar. Clean the gasket groove, cut and glue the gasket together. I removed the adhesive strip backing and fitted the gasket into the groove, shut the port and all was good, no leaks thru a long soaking rain.

How I cut my screen to the dimension of the port it self, I think 13"x5 1/2". Using a putty knife and a flat screwdriver I pushed the screen between the gasket and the inner frame. I started at the top middle and worked from side to side, until I reached the bottom. It doesn't look bad, I think it looks better than some of my other port. Another good thing about the method is, if your screen gets kicked out, you only have to replace the screen and not the gasket and screen.

I still haven't given up on a removable screen design.

Just to let you know, it's been raining up here all weekend, and that is the only port that is not leaking. I am waiting now for the rest of my gasket stock to come in...