• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Anyone sailing out of Alamitos today?

toddbrsd

Ex-Viking, Now Native American
Not Today

Wish I could. My saturdays are usually filled with the kids activities. I have planned to take out my family for their first sail on Father's Day. Let me know if you have such plans. Have fun!

Sven

Seglare
Not today, but tomorrow

I have some friends from Sweden dropping by for a breakfast daysail on Sunday, out of Cabrillo. This will be our first daysail here and we've been here a year :eek:

Enjoy your sail !

-Sven

tdskip

Member II
Hi guys - a but choppy coming out of Alamitos but quite nice once we go behind the breakwater. A couple large oil tankers were anchored that the kids liked sailing over to check out.

It was blowing too - even with our mainsail bleeding off energy (I'm having a problem getting the sail fully extended so there is slack in it that you can't - or at least I can't - completely trim out of it) we did were moving right along.

Our knot meter is DOA but the GPS had us at a sustained 6.5 - 7.1 MPH without the boat being too heeled since I had the kids with me.

Todd - are your kids into the boat?

Sven - company is a prefect reason to go sailing!

toddbrsd

Ex-Viking, Now Native American
Todd - are your kids into the boat?

This will be their first sail. The admiral is a little "conservative" when it comes to boating, so I will be taking it easy so they don't get spooked! I am hoping they will enjoy it and want to continue so I can get in more sail time.

tdskip

Member II
Ah, yes. Been there and had to manage through it.

I finally just started bringing the kids with a couple other family friends to help keep an eye on this. After several trips where the kids survived my Admiral has relaxed a bit. :egrin:

As you've probably already figured out pick a moderate wind day since the channel and immediate sea can get choppy and then head for Shoreline marina/ Downtown area since it always seems to be smooth over there.

Good luck!

Sven

Seglare
Kids and I just watch the video of the dolphins - fun!

"Daddy, can we go see the dolphins too?"

Glad they enjoyed it. Those dolphin encounters are amazing, it is so obvious that they are coming over to check you out. Wish we had an underwater bow-camera :egrin:

-Sven

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Great Video Sven,

Here are a few of my Dolphin encounters. In the shot where there are 3 in a row and the shot of the Gal with the pony tail in the foreground, we had dolphins by the hundreds with us for about 40 minutes on the way to Catalina. That was in May of 2004. I have had many more encounters with other marine mammals including Blue, Finback, Orca's & Gray Whale's.

Check out the Youtube of the Finback sighting off Pt. Fermin. Took this in Nov. of 2009. Not great quality or as close as I wish, no zoom on my little point & shoot camera.

You just have to keep going out. You'll see em eventually.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbOKa9hDi4A

Attachments

• P5280015_1.jpg
    P5280015_1.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 39
  • P5280023_1.jpg
    P5280023_1.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 40
  • P1010038_4.jpg
    P1010038_4.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 47