• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Osprey repellent

fredn56

Member II
In the past several weeks, our boat has been the picnic table of a local osprey. We have found fish bones, scales, fins, tail, guts, and even a head, as well as excreta.
One night we saw the culprit perched on a mast two boats down at the marina.
On Wednesday, the final insult: a whole fish dropped in the cockpit for leisure dining at a later time.
Any thoughts on osprey blocking?
I am not ready to drop the mast and put up feelers and spikes this year.

Maybe try leaving a radio turned on.
Ospreys are protected in this state (Wash.), and are fun to watch catch fish by swooping down. I haven't heard of them being a nuisance in Lake Chelan.
I've had bears, cougars, coyotes, rattle snakes, etc. in my yard, and honestly, I'ld rather have these near by than people.
If it was me, I would take the five minutes to clean up after them, and forget about it. Treasure those critters! - chris

Emerald

Hi Fred,

I completely understand where you're coming from. I had rebuilt 5 teak hatches on a prior boat and spent many hours varnishing them to find one day that a blue heron had decided that the bright shiny teak surfaces were ideal for smashing open and eating his lunch, and then dropping a load before take off. One day, there was literally not 6 inches of clean deck on her that didn't have something on it. I've got old photos of it some place. It was beyond what one would believe possible. I actually looked into if I could eat the critter (if I shot him, I'd have to eat him to feel good about it), but decided that even though it looked like I could (don't think he's protected around here), he'd probably taste like what he ate - no fun there.

So, try hanging pie plates, old CDs or other bright shiny stuff. Go as far as even hanging stuff from your topping lift as well as life lines. It's amazing what a few things suspended will do to create a no fly zone. I know, you're thinking you're boat is going to look like you're channeling crystal power via tin foil, but it'll beat scraping the decks :cool:

PatTormey

Member I
JackKite

I've had some luck with the local bird with a JacKite http://www.jackite.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0voXUdrK-nY

They fly in the slightest breeze, hold up well (Tyvek?) and they look good.
I lost mine a a storm last fall and have the replacement on order..

But I used a Peregine Falcon for mine and you might want to find an Eagle or something, they might just attach the thing..It's that real looking

Pat
Ericson 25+ NH USA

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Technically speaking, almost every bird in the US is protected under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act (just a few non-native species like European starlings and English sparrows are not included). However, enforcement of said Act is usually limited to egregious violations, like power companies not fixing a situation where their power lines are consistently killing a large number of birds, and usually only after repeated warnings. I have heard of people who have been caught killing eagles being charged under it as well, though.

That said it is extremely frustrating to deal with bird poop. Our last boat was moored in an area that had lots of blackberry bushes nearby. During late summer, we would find the boat covered in purple droppings, which left purple stains when washed off. Eventually it would wear off, but for the month of August the boat would look like it had a case of measles! I put up a small tarp over the boom which kept the worst of the mess out of the cockpit, so that might be an option to keep the fish out!

In addition to the items mentioned previously, there are literally a boatload of other products that could help: http://www.birdbusters.com/, www.bird-x.com.
I have heard that a sticky gel works pretty well http://www.bird-x.com/bird-proof-gel-p-35.html but I would want to limit its use to the masthead. I have no idea how often it would need to be applied, or how it might interact with aluminum mast parts. But might be worth a try of the problem continues.

Good luck.

Doug

Last edited:

sbj

Hi Folks Run a pig stick up the mast and they will not land. I did this and it saved me hours of scrubing and cleaning. Good Luck. SBJ

Dave Neptune

Member II
Ah the Osprey

I had an Osprey take up my masthead as a dining table for a year or so after loosing my masthead wind indicator. It was a bit fun to watch it while he was hanging around and even dinning. The prevailing wind actually made the mess worse for my neighbor. I finally picked up another indicator and replaced it. The next weekend I went to the boat for a bit of manitenance and the indicator was on the deck with a fish and etc. Yuch! Anyway after about another month it just went away and I have had no problem since.
The Osprey is a bird of prey and being so is a bit gutsie.One morning myself and my dog arrived at the boat to ready things for a trip the Catalina and a weekend on my mooring. Well upon arrival the Osprey was on the masthead. He stayed there while loading the boat and washing it off. I'd look up and it would be watching me and the dog (small dog) and seemed quite comfortable. When I started the engine the Osprey still sat and watched. To my great suprise he did not fly away yet and it had been about 45 minutes of activity below it. I tied on the dinghy and tossed the dock lines and out of the slip I went with the Osprey still perched. I motored all the way from the far reaches of Alimitos Bay to the entrance with other boaters pointing to my boat with a masthead mascott. The bird stayed until I was about a 1/4 mile out into the harbor before he flew away which was a long time and aboout 2 miles from the slip. From the time I arrived till it flew off was over an hour. It was quite amazing that the Osprey just sat and watched with all the activity 45' below.

Dave Neptune :cool:

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Dave Neptune's experience reminds me of a few summers ago when I had the boat drydocked in the boatyard. There was a large crane next door building a new marina facility (since put on hold due to the recession). On the back of the crane the ospreys had built a nest. The crane would swing around 360 degrees, making all sorts of noise and vibration and the parents and chicks would ride it around in big circles. They were not in the least bit worried about all the activity. They liked to bomb the boats occasionally, but they were pretty fun to watch.