• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

This jib look right?

tdskip

Member II
Hi folks - so now that we're moving the boat to someplace with wind I better get her sails sorted out. We inherited two sails with the boat, the first is an odd sized genoa type-thingy (nice mastery of sailing terms there, eh) and the second is a more reasonable sized jib. I need to take the exact measurements but does anyone else have a 25+ that can confirm that this might be the factory jib?

Thanks!

Attachments

• new jib.jpg
    new jib.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 39

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
That jib looks good for a windy - high traffic area. Is that the headsail you have been using in your light winds around Dana Point?

tdskip

Member II
Hi Mark. The jib in the picture is one that came with the boat, but not the one we have been using. The other sail is nominally sized like a genoa and it's dimensions are approximately

Luff - 27.5
Leech 28' 3"
Foot - 17'

probably a bit bigger than that since the sail wasn't full stretched.

It doesn't seem to fit right and never gets full stretched on the headsail, so it never seems to generate much power....

The idea with the jib in the picture is that it might be better matched to windier days in Long Beach. Still need to sort out a light wind sail still....

Thanks!

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Looks like a working jib in the photo. I see the UK sails logo on it as well. Not sure who supplied the stock sails that were sold with the Ericsons originally. Does it go all the way to the top of the mast?

Like Mark said, it should do well in heavy wind. You should be able to find the Luff, Leach and Foot measurements in the Specs and Docs section on this site. Do you have the standard or tall rig 25+? Fractional?

You can also check this site: http://shop.ericsonowners.com/detail-sails.htm?fno=220&xbrand=Ericson&next=1

UK makes nice sails. Here's the website. http://www.ukhalsey.com

I think you would get more responses to your question if you posted it in the Design & Function or Cruising and Racing section on this site.

Also looks like that sail may have been patched. That strip of fabric almost looks like a batten pocket. I have seen a jib once with battens and cut like that on a MacGregor 22.

Nice looking boat.

Last edited:

tdskip

Member II
Hi Jeff - yes, the one in the picture does run all the way up. The other one doesn't and has some slack in it.

Thanks for the links.

I don't know what mast - the documentation that came with the boat doesn't indicate and when we bought here I didn't know there was a difference. Can I "just" measure I to determine that?

Last edited: