• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E-25+ Out of Boston

GMC

Member II
Not earth shattering news, but I haven't seen much in this category, so I thought I'd let you know that an E-25+ (Promises) will be sailing out of Boston toward Buzzard's Bay this weekend, with eventual home being New Bedford. I bought the boat end of season last year and this will be my first little voyage on her. Book and movie rights available - theme: 52 year old, mid life goal achieved, trying to reverse time. See you out there.

treilley

Sustaining Partner
My former E35 will be sailing from Portland to Stamford, CT May 19th-21st with it's new home being Annapolis.

Enjoy your cruise, these are great little boats. I have an 1983 E25+ and sail out of New London. Each year I sail to MV - NYC and most ports in-between.

s/v Breeze

GMC

Member II
Update

Out of Boston on Friday. Steady westerly10-15, with gusts (day before was like a hurricane, SUV blow over warnings on the radio). Got late start, but in to Scituate around 5:00. Harbor doesn't really officially open for all services until May 15, but everyone very accomodating, waited for one day for new crew (brother in law) and left Sunday at 6:00 a.m. for New Bedford. Southwest wind right into us, but we arrived an hour early for the Cape Cod Canal and did some sailing in the sunshine waiting for the current to turn. Nice weather. SW starts to pick, we go into canal and come out on the other side to fog 1/2 mile, gray weather. We got absolutely pounded, making slow progress against very large waves coming right at us on the nose along with the steady, now very strong SW wind. Boat was like a rocking horse, vis declining with more fog. I become concerned that we don't get into New Bedford until well after dark and its my first time in. We divert to Mattapoiset, but come in sort of blind as fog is down and relying on GPS to take us to Nye ledge bouy, which is just outside harbor. This is the last waypoint I have on my GPS as I had not planned coming in. I don't trust getting coord. from map and putting in GPS as I can't stand up long enough in cabin to feel confident what I'm getting. I figured the angle we needed to turn at Nye bouy, but it was rough as I did not have (didn't think I would need) divided rule. So we make the turn and enter harbor blind after 200 yards due to fog, trying to pick up string of cans to our port and not knowing how much we were being set by SW winds and how far set by current still running roughly opposite direction. Fortunately, we pick up a nun out of the fog, make a deduction and keep going, watching exposed ledge on our port at edge of fog. Eerie. Anyway, we are well into harbor eventually, before seeing shore and getting in and moored. Learned some lessons for next time, but would like to share with Ericson owners that my little 25+ took on a couple hours of pounding and rode admirably through it, feeling sturdy. My little stock diesel saildrive plowed on and did not fail us. The only thing that was going to get us in trouble on the trip was me, not the boat or its rig.
Last leg from Mattapoisett to New Bedford in a few days.

almico

Great story GMC. When I was young I did a lot of wilderness camping. Our mantra was "if you haven't been in fear for your life at least once, you haven't been camping." A sailing voyage might be the same philosophy. To me it's about facing the elements. The illusion is that we can control them. I suppose we can, as long as they permit it. After that it's about taking whatever mother nature dishes out and surviving. Glad to hear your boat held up. Sounds like you did too.

I'm contemplating a similar journey from Marblehead, MA to Raritan Bay, NJ with my "new" boat. I will have a skipper and first mate with me. I most likely will be relegated to morale officer at best.

GMC

Member II
Curious

I recently moved the boat from Mattapoiset to New Bedford, its new home. As I pointed out earlier, coming out of the canal, boat took a pounding. In the boat's ice box, I had 5 beer bottles (Becks) and 4 cans of ginger ale. When I cleaned the box out after limping in to Mattapoiset, I find that all of the beer bottles had lost about 2/3 of their contents, but the caps where still on and the bottles not broken. The cans of ginger had slightly popped their seals and had leaked out completely. Interesting.