• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Where to get a "Compass Recorder" for best starts

sailingdeacon

Member III
An old racing buddy has a neat card which indicates the favored side of the race course, favored down wind tacks, etc by entering on the face dial various compass readings. (not elecronic) It is probabliy 10 years old and is called a "Compass Recorder" sold by Sail Researchers Associates. I can't find anything like it now. Help!

Ray Rhode

Member III
Just found something that may work in place of the Compass Recorder you are looking for. Check out www.apsltd.com and look at the Musto Compucourse and the WP Tactician Calculator.

Ray Rhode
S/Y Journey
E35-III, #189

sailingdeacon

Member III
Thanks for the info. I also found that two other major dealors were sold out. One said they were not to be made anymore. The other had heard the same but then said not true. I see that not only does Musto have the Compucourse and also a Course Optimizer. I'm not sure what the differences are.

Also, Weems & Platt make a Tachtician Calculator which one dealor said was preferred.

So does anybody have insight on these. Best deal is at sailnet.com with a discount on the Tachtician plus no shipping. They don't sell lthe Musto.

The reason I want one of these is that with all the bustle of a start on my E34, it's hard to keep things clear in mind.

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Starting

Here is a very simple method for determining the favored end of the line:
1). For now, assume an upwind start
2). Somewhere near the start line, go fully head to wind-hold it there long enough for the compass to settle down and note the TRUE wind direction.
3). Place the boat ON the start line, lining yourself up so one end is directly ahead and one end direcetly astern (or you could sail at the line from outside and line up the comitte boat and the far end so that you are aiming directly parallel to the line). Note the heading of the line. Write down the heading you see, AND the reciprocal. Whichever of the 2 numbers is LESS than 90 degrees from the WIND DIRECTION is the favored end.
4). For a downwind start, whichever end is MORE than 90 degrees is favored.
5). For a reaching start, whichever end is less than 90 degrees from the HEADING to the first mark.

Feel free to contact me for more info.
Good sailing!