• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

To Spinnaker or Not to Spinnaker?

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
My E35-3 does not have spinnaker gear on it. I was wondering if it would be worth adding such gear - and what it would cost (generally).

Can any of you give me any advice about what the best approach for retrofitting spinnaker gear?

Thanks,
//sse

Spinnaker gear

Sean,

Spinnaker gear is something for racing in a spinnaker class. If you have the kind of knowledge, experience, desire and money to back up your question, then it adds an element to racing that's exciting, demanding and expensive.

However, since you asked the question on this forum, you probably have not had lots experience using a chute. In my opinion, having a chute on a boat and using it will add two more people to your crew, one of whom MUST be an experienced foredeck man. And that is for racing. Maybe just one extra person when you are cruising.

You'll get into all kinds of new terms with a chute: sheet, afterguy, foreguy, twing, spinnaker halyard, spinnaker car, spinnaker, turtle, topping lift, spinnaker pole, spinnaker gybe, pole dip, end-for-end, etc. Spinnaker work, which I don't have a lot of experience with, is an aspect of sailing where everything can go wrong, usually all at the same time, and, if you don't race, it just is not worth it, in my opinion. My guess of the cost to rig for your boat for spinnaker work would be in the neightborhood of $4,000.

On the other hand, if you just want to go faster on broad reaches and in light air, get yourself a crusing chute, AKA asymmetrical spinnaker. I have had one on my boat for 20 years. It is a great sail to use off the wind, but not particularly effective straight downwind. On my boat, I set the cruising chute out of a sock, so it is easy to handle even for one person. The sock keeps the sail muzzled until you want to use it and also keeps it under control when you are dousing it.

You gybe a cruising chute, from broad reach to broad reach. I use mine without a pole because it was designed to be used that way. You make up in extra speed what you lose in straight line course efficiency when the wind is dead aft and you are tempted to pole out a crusing chute. It sounds dumb, but it works.

Being a guy, you are tempted to get all the go-fast stuff you can put on your boat. We all succumb to that lure, but if you don't really want to race with the big guys and experience the agony and ecstacy of bad and good spinnaker work, then a cruising chute is for you.

Get a second opinion. Maybe even several more. It's your money we are talking about here. And maybe even a little peace of mind.

Best of luck,

Morgan Stinemetz

[Edited by Morgan Stinemetz on 04-17-2001 at 04:33 AM]

escapade

Inactive Member
spinaker

Sean;
Re:Spinakers
Spinakers can be your friends!! They can also scare the Bejesus out of you! The cost to set-up your boat w/all new gear would be about the $4,000 figure mentioned. But if you look around you would be suprised how much used equipment is available. I had a cruising spinaker on my first boat (E-27) and found I was wanting to pole the foot out most of the time anyway. On the E-30+ I went to a symetrical spinaker and was very satisified. I used it cruising and racing including double handed distance races on Lake Huron. You must plan ahead on your sets, jibes and takedowns but if you do that you won't have any problems. The secret is to not rush and learn in light air conditions. I'm in the process of setting my latest boat (E-34-2) up and estimate it will cost about $1500 dollars for spinaker & gear. Used poles and spinakers are the biggest cost savings you will find. The sailmakers in Michigan have lot's of used sails available if yours in Wash. don't. Good luck and contact me if you would like more info/opinions. Bud

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Spinnaker stuff...

I just attending the 48 North swap meet yesterday in Seattle, and there were lots of spinnakers for sale. I would hazard a guess that the hardware will be your biggest cost. Lots of these sails show up on the used market -- some like new. Some go through a succession of owners without ever being used, due to timidity or lack of interest by their owners.

As to the concept that spinnakers have something special to do with "racing", I would agree that they do indeed, just like mains... and jibs...
:)

By that, I mean that any sailboat is a "racing" boat when it enters a race, and all sails are "racing" sails if flown during a race.

I used to sell asymmetrical spinnakers when they (and I) were a younger idea, over 20 years ago. They work very well on reaches and get worse and worse as the wind goes aft. I have flown a chute by myself on a light-air day with "Otto" driving. Most of the time it is far more fun with another person (or two) along.
If you are headed downwind on a light air day, it is far better than motoring along breathing diesel exhaust...
:(

We have purchased an ATN sock for the tri-radial that came with our boat and look forward to trying it out. This may have to wait until next year when plans are to use our boat a lot more again (this summer was kinda "lost" due to other time pressures).
Back to "racing" again, of all experiences to judge sailing against, spinnaker takedowns in heavy traffic at a mark, have the least to do with everyday sailing compared to any sail evolution I can think of...
:scared:

I used to race one design at a regional/nationals level a long time ago, and still crew sometimes on an Ericson 33, and like it a lot. I would not, however, equate what we cheerfully force ourselves to do, with a crew of 6, with what we normally do shorthanded, out for a daysail with jibs or chutes...

If you want to try flying a chute on your E-35 sometime, and get a halyard and pole rigged, I could bring up my chute and a set of sheets and we could give it a try...

Loren in Portland, OR
Olson 34 #8
:cool: