• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Wind in Long Beach / Wilmington vs Dana Point

tdskip

Member II
Hi folks - I have a 25+ that I'm not using because I've found the wind in the Dana Point area where I keep her to be, lousy. Now I'll be the first to admit that I'm still a newbie, and my light air skills are probably marginal. That said every time I sailed with friends out of the Long Beach area we always had decent wind.

I'm debating moving her back up to Long Beach but it seemed like a good idea to ask if in fact the wind is more reliable up there or if I'm simply being delusional...

Thanks in advance for any feedback or coaching!

Sven

Seglare
If you are talking about Hurricane Gulch outside Cabrillo (San Pedro) then you will indeed get more wind than some other places.

-Sven

tdskip

Member II
Hi Sven, thanks for the fast response.

I was thinking of moving her to one of the Wilmington marina's ASAP to try and actually get some sailing in. Slips are available, they are cheap, and while perhaps not quite as picturesque as Dana Point at least that would give me a better shot at turning her outboard off.

Is getting around in the channel with the commercial traffic an issue?

Any tips or suggestions for me?

Thank you very much for the help and coaching.

Sven

Seglare
We haven't had any commercial traffic issues but we usually don't stick around, just head out Angeles Gate and leave for a few days. Jeff, Mike, Meanolddad, or ... could probably give you a better feel for what it is like to sail inside the breakwater.

-Sven

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Although the slips are cheap in Wilmington be aware that it will take you between 30 to 40 minutes to get out to open ocean. I recommend getting a slip at Al Larson's (inexpensive) on Terminal Island or Cabrillo Marina (not Cabrillo Way Marina!) or Holiday Harbor in San Pedro (West Channel) to be closer to open water.

Although a lot of folks do sail (race) inside the break wall in Hurricane Gulch, there is a lot of commercial traffic. Container & Cruise Ships as well as barges, tugs & fishing boats. I prefer to get well away from the harbor for day sails, head out 4 to 6 miles towards Catalina and the tac West up the coast past Pt. Fermin. I would pay the extra buck a foot not to have to spend all that time motoring up the main channel and dodging commercial traffic that you would be more likely to do if you were berthed in Wilmington.

I think the Western part of San Pedro is very picturesque in it's own right. Not to mention Palos Verdes Peninsula just west of that.

Be ready for Lots Of Wind!

http://www.marinasonline.net/marinas/details/149/al-larson-marina

http://www.cymcabrillo.com

http://www.holidayharborcm.com/index.html

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Here's a map of LA & Long Beach Harbors. I don't think Shoreline Marina in Long Beach accepts boats under 30'. You would have to look at Marina's in Alamitos Bay near Seal Beach. Also San Pedro is a lot closer to Catalina. Hope this helps show the lay of the harbors.

Attachments

• LAHarborMap.jpg
    LAHarborMap.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 258

Sam Vickery

Member III
Dana Point Wind

TDSKIP,

Don't give up on Dana Point. We do not generally have BIG wind. But there are days when we need to reef the main. 20+ kts of wind. Most days we go out there is anywhere from 6-14 kts. of wind. On the days when there is little wind.........go out anyway. The old salt that "learned me" what little I know of sailing would say on a light air days, "Anyone can sail in big wind, it takes a real sailor to sail with only a little wind."

A real plus of Dana is the ability to be in open water in 5 minutes. The folks are friendly and......I'm beginning to sound like I work for the chamber of commerce. I don't. I just really like it here. However............ Long Beach is closer to Catalina.

Whatever you decide, make it fun. Sailing is a wonderful sport that will give you opportunities to meet some great people.

Sam
E 32-3 1986

windjunkee

Member III
In every one of the San Pedro to Dana Point, or Long Beach to Dana Point races I've been in, the wind has always, without exception, died within 2 or 4 miles of Dana Point harbor and it has always been a drift-fest to get in. We have, several times, gotten to within sight of the finish line with 3 hours to the cut off and have missed the cut off.
That said, if given the choice and you want wind, San Pedro is the place to go.

Jim McCone
Voice of Reason E-32
Redondo Beach, CA

Meanolddad

Member III
There is pretty much always wind in and around San Pedro. We are in Al Larson's Marina and would recommend them if you want and inexpensive slip. No night life to speak of. The marina is in a very industrial area. The marina store has beer, sandwiches and snacks. Good people all around in the marina. We are paying 8 dollar a foot currently. Cabrillo where Jeff and Sven are is a nicer marina and both marinas are close to the open ocean. Dealing with the commercial shipping is not a problem and there is pleny of sailing room inside the breakwater if you head down towards Long Beach. Good sailing in or out of te breakwater
Hope this helps
Greg

tdskip

Member II
Hi folks - not sure what happened but I had signed up for email notifications of new posts here and once they stopped I assumed there wasn't any more traffic here, and just now realized there were quite a few other replies.

Thanks You for all of the info.

Los Alamitos said "between 5 months and 5 years" for a slip. I called on Al Larson and they said my 25+ beam was too big for their slips, so I'll get on the phone with some other marinas and see what they have available.

Last edited:

tdskip

Member II
Did you actually mean 25' beam ?

-Sven

LOL - not very clear writing on my part there. Sorry. What I was trying to communicate is that the beam of my Ericson 25+, which is listed at 9" 3", is too big for their available slips.

tdskip

Member II
I should be so lucky to have the need for a 25+ beam slip. Ha!

She said their slip width is 9" 6", which seems kind of narrow doesn't it?

Sven

Seglare
If you maximum beam is 9' 3" and the slip is 9' 6" (probably 6" above water level) I'd guess you would be snug but fit ?

-Sven

tdskip

Member II
Hi Sven - thanks for all the follow-up.

I asked the same thing and they said there is enough wake / movement that they were concerned I'd beat up my boat and their dock....

The search continues!

Meanolddad

Member III
We have about 8 inches on each side of the boat at Al Larsons. I check the dock lines prior to any storm to make sure Regulus does not get beat up from the docks. A 30 foot slip would fit your boat fine if there is one available and you are willing to pay the difference. Al Larsons can get a bit bumpy since it is so close to the open ocean. Before pier 400 was built it could get quite brutal in the marina. When we first moved in some of the boats that had been there for while actually had springs as part of their docklines. We rented a slip in Shoreline for a couple of nights and there was so much room I did not quite know how to react.
You may want to visit the marinas and see what you may be dealing with. Let us all know if you want to come up to check out the marinas and we can all show you around our favorites.
Greg

tdskip

Member II
So here is the plan - let me know if you think it makes sense.

We are going to move her to Newmark. Dana Point is a nicer environment than Newmark for sure, but the wind and stuff to see / do in a sailboat is totally superior in Long Beach. Sailing to San Pedro, Queen Mary, downtown Long Beach, Seal Beach etc is all easily done in a day. The actually marina is low amenity BUT wind is good and literally we can we under sail in two minutes from the slip. So the plan is to move her, use her, save the $120 a month while we wait for a Los Alamitos slip to come up. Sound like a plan?

Oh, and I think I got the jib sorted.

toddbrsd

Ex-Viking, Now Native American
Where is Newmark?

Where is Newmark? I am in Alamitos Bay in a temporary 25' slip ($308/mo.) while on the waiting list for a permenant slip($257/mo.). I only got on the list in late February and am No. 6 on the list, but have not been able to guage how fast/slow the list is going. I could swear they said there were 20 on the list when I applied. I think the fate of the AB Marina Construction will be decided with the Coastal Commission in June/July so the Marina is being cautious about filling more slips. At this point, I will be at their mercy, so I may be looking for another marina. I have heard about all of the other marinas on this thread, except Newmark.

Thanks

Todd
1976, E-27
Alamitos Bay