• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

The time has come to part with our beloved Ericson

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Kathy and I have decided to move aboard. Our plan is to live aboard for a couple of years and then do an extended cruise. Unfortunately our 35-3 does not suit our needs for this type of endeavor.

Cory B

Sustaining Member
Freedoms

Those are great boats. I used to sail on one quite a bit.

My only complaint with them was that there weren't enough lines to tweak, but as I get older that seems to bother me less...

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Alas it was a painful decision for us as well. Made only more painful by the atrocious market (sellers perspective) and the sheer number of E-38s presently listed. We have accepted an offer on Escape Plan, she has surveyed well, and we anticiapte settling in the next few weeks. Then we can begin our next boat search in earnest. We too are planning to move aboard and with two children and the 38 was just not the boat. Not enough room for the 4 of us and blue water cruising gear. Our broker has pointed the buyer to this site so hopefully he will become an active contributor. I only wish more boats had this type of resource. It has been torture getting info on our next boat, Wauquiez 43 Amphitrite 1980-1990.

I will likely remain active on this board as there is a lot in common with systems on boats and you guys are a great bunch to bounce ideas off!

Ted Reshetiloff

Rhynie

Member III
Ted,
Moving onboard seems to be a trend right now. The S2 that I'm looking at is on the market because the owner is looking at a 42 ?? to live-aboard on.

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
S2 is an good boat and there are a few here on the chesapeake that race well. Not sure I would pick it over an ericson but I dont know what you are looking for. You should check out a late 80's E-35 mark III. For the money I would pick that in a heartbeat over the S2. Better layout with an aft cabin and aft head with separate shower and better overall construction than the S2. Whats wrong with your 34?

Mindscape

Member III
S2

We had 2 S2 11.0s in the marina at one time, although I believe they are both gone now. As I remeber they both had some issues with wet decks around the mast. One of them was worse than the other. One of the guys told me this was a known issue and something to check on. Both of the guys liked the way the boat sailed as I recall. All of this is from conversations with the owners, no first hand experience.

treilley

Sustaining Partner
S2 is an good boat and there are a few here on the chesapeake that race well. Not sure I would pick it over an ericson but I dont know what you are looking for. You should check out a late 80's E-35 mark III. For the money I would pick that in a heartbeat over the S2. Better layout with an aft cabin and aft head with separate shower and better overall construction than the S2. Whats wrong with your 34?

Ted, I think you are thinking of the E38. The E35-III has a separate shower stall but a more traditional layout with a head behind the V-berth and a open quarter berth.

Be careful with the S2. They made a racing and a cruising edition. The racing boats were usually raced hard and put away wet.

Rhynie

Member III
Appreciate the responses re:S 2; the one I'm looking at is an '81 and had one owner until about a year and a half ago. The current owner is now looking at a 42 to live on. At first look she is in pristine conditon and he just redid electricals and nav systems and added refrigeration. I am interested in her, but have to move my 34 first, so have a sign on her to see if I get any nibbles. The market is slow, so we'll see what happens and I am happy with my Ericson if the deal doesn't come together.

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Sold

Settled this morning. I am officially a member of the "I don't own an Ericason anymore but still like this board" group. Had a lot of fun with the boat and learned a lot from this gang. Thanks!

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Congrats Ted. We are close but waiting on the survey which will have to wait until I return from our trip to the Caribbean.

We have our eyes on a Hylas 44. We will be going to see one up close April 3rd.

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Nice going Ted. Less than a month to sell your boat. Glad you're going to stick around!

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Actually the boat has been listed since last April. It is definitely a buyers market and we are off to RI this evening to look at a prosepective new boat...

MMLOGAN

Member III
Hylas 46

Tim,

I just returned from the Pacific Sail expo in Oakland. I went to look at the 46 and tour the vendor tents. Beautiful boat. This is the second year in a row that I have been hit with "We had a buyer back out, you can take over the deposit, saves you 60K...." Not sure if that is the trend do to current times or a sales pitch. Either way, the more I study Hylas, the more I like them. Would be happy to look at anything in the Los Angeles area if you come across something out my way.

Best of luck to you.

Matt

E35-3 Wind Chaser

FullTilt E28

Member III
Some ideas also

Hylas makes some really nice beefy cruising boats though some of their newer models have some features that are more for looks than seaway functionality like the hook like handles in the galley is one example.

Wife and I spent nearly three weeks cruising in Croatia and discovered Elan Yachts which really impressed us! Think Bendy boat prices with Oyster yachts blood lines. Humphrey Designs all the Oyster boats now and does all the Elan yachts also. Elan's are built with Euro loyd's approved hulls which are very rare in any glass boat now days.

The Elan boats we saw were the impression 43 and 38 which is the cruising boat they had attention to details we have not seen in boats for a very long time. They also sailed very well and their interiors were still functional while at sea which most of the new boats are impressive but after 4-5 days on the move you soon learn that they are seriously lacking in sea way functional interiors. Something the Elan's still seem to embrace. The quality of the workmanship is very good for production boats sold at nearly Bendy boat prices.

We also saw the Elan Performance 450 which we fell in love with! My wife and I are racers and the way Humphrey integrated his Open 60 short handed systems into a very sharp performance cruiser is super refreshing after looking at boat after boat that has the same look and feel to it.

The other maker which was very impressive is the Dufour with the twin head sail which from a cruising stand point is really! Really nice to have you can switch to a small head sail by simply furling one and unfurling another.

The boat options we have in the US are a tad lacking after we saw what is built and sailed in places where sailing is huge. We made the decision when we are ready to find our big cruiser we will go to the Med and find a truly impressive boat vs the very limited and some what aged options that keep being presented at US boat shows.