• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E 32-2 motoring range w/ atomic4?

Westy

OK, I just bought a 1973 32-2 with an Atomic 4 that was rebuilt in 2000. Also new sails then. I am new to Great Lakes sailing and have been spoiled by East Coast sailing with inlets every 15 to 20 miles. Not so on lake Superior.

What kind of range can I expect to have with the Atomic 4 and 20 gallons of gas? Last boat was a 26' Pearson Commander out of NYC.

Thanks Westy

SingPilot

Welcome, Westy!

In a previous life I was based in MSP and lived out at Tonka Bay. I still use MSP as a tech stop to central Europe from the West Coast; I fly for a living and have come to depend on reliability. On the boat, that means the priciples of KISS.

I have a 1970 E32 with an Atomic 4. Don't let the chorus of diesel disbelievers sway you, it is a great setup used with the cautions associated with any machinery (including diesels) that contains fuels. I always cringe when I see propane mishandled, or pressurized alcohol stoves treated lightly, yet these same people will extol the virtures of diesel over gas. OK, off of the soapbox.

I get hull speed (between 6 and 7.2 knots depending on sea state and wind) with my A4 at 1900 RPM. I will burn slightly over 1 gallon an hour at that rate, so slightly over that it is tough to see. I have an 18 gallon tank, and a very accurate guage on my rebuilt panel. I have most of the mods to the A4 (oil heater/cooler, crankcase vent, new carb, oil filter mod), and have found it to be very reliable. As I remember, it is a 12x5 2 bladed sailor prop (RH of course). I have been tempted to try the 3 bladed CDI prop, mainly because it would be quieter.

Welcome to the board, and Good Luck with your boat!

Michael Krebs.

Westy

E 32 range

Thanks for the information. I find it interesting that a 32 foot sailboat is cheaper to push through the water than my 26 foot class A motor home was to push over the highway. I got 4 to 7 miles per gallon depending on how the wind blew. I dumped it for an ultralite that I can tow behind my van and get 13.5 mpg.

Anyway, from what you say I should be able to make it to a safe harbor with no problem. With 20 gallons that would give me 20 hours and 120 to 140 miles. They are putting the boat in the water in this week end. I am one happy guy.

Westy

Attachments

• 72riteon.jpg
    72riteon.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 184