• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Back to the Isthmus on Friday

Sven

Seglare
We'll be going Friday through Monday.

Sam mentioned that he might be heading over, or maybe to Avalon instead.

Looks like it will be sunny but cool (by SoCal standards). 40-42 degrees is cold when you don't have a heater :egrin:

-Sven

Sven

Seglare
It was wonderful !

Jason asked "Do you want a mooring in about the same place as last time ?". Maybe we are going there too often :egrin:

Got to see a whale leap almost completely out of the water on the way back. It was probably a mile off but it was very impressive and it was _very_ large. Nancy only saw the landing splash but even that was amazing. The tail did not clear the water but there couldn't have been all that much whale left under the water.

We did have a nice sail over on Friday but on the way back today we didn't have any wind until we were a couple of miles from Angels Gate. We saw a few Ericsons at the Isthmus and I think we saw MeanOldDad head towards Avalon (?) as we got close to home. He was making really good time and the boat looked beautiful !

-Sven

Meanolddad

Member III
Hi Sven

We did see you on your way back. We recognized Senta II, and remembered you were going to the island. We were out looking for whales and only found dolphins. Great day for a sail, nice light winds for a change.

Cheers
Greg

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Looks like I missed seeing you both. I was out for about 5 hours on Saturday and 6 hours on Sunday. Saw a few dolphins Sat. No Whales.

Woulda, Shoulda, Coulda gone to the Island! :headb:

Beautiful weather. :egrin:Good wind on Saturday, a lot less on Sunday. Big swells, but they were far apart.

Alas, looks like rain next weekend.:headb:

shevrin

Can't Wait

Sven,

Me and my family are new to sailing. We purchased our first sail boat this past summer,the Woodwind. She is a 1974 29 Ft Ericson, and she is berthed in Oceanside Harbor. I am still on Active Duty in the Army and currently stationed on the other side of the world in Fort Drum, New York.

I am working on moving into the Reserves and moving the family back to the SD area late this Summer.

Your story about going to Catalina and seeing the whale inspires me and my wife. We both read about the whale, and we can't wait to make it back and create a home in SoCal.

Brian, Joyce, JT, and Christy Hevrin
"The Woodwind"
Oceanside, CA

Sven

Seglare
Your story about going to Catalina and seeing the whale inspires me and my wife. We both read about the whale, and we can't wait to make it back and create a home in SoCal.

That whale was special. We've seen whales quite often but I'd never seen one leap out of the water like that, except on Maui.

We stopped off in Oceanside when we sailed up from San Diego. We didn't do any sightseeing but it was a nice little harbor !

-Sven

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Whales are getting to be more and more common off the So Cal Coast. In 2009 I saw about seven total at different times. The first whales I actually ever saw in So Cal were off Anacapa Island in October of 2001 and they were Orcas! (LA Pod?) Since then I have seen Blues, Grays & Fin Backs. Not to mention many dolphins. No guarantees to passengers when I take them out, best way to see them is just to go out as much as possible. Actually Pt. Fermin is where I have seen most of them.

Last edited: