• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

I give...

EGregerson

Member III
I'm finally converting to propane. I 'm at the end of the trail with cng. There is a place in Miami that will replace the jets if i bring in the stove/oven. (Of course I'll first rig a line to hold the keel!) I thot I'd put the lpg can in the transom locker. Is this wild and crazy? or the neatest thing since rock and roll? Cut away the bucket /hose storage compartment under the transom seat. See pic. Frame/glass /bolt in a mount for a platform for the cannister. Vent out thru the transom. Let me know your thots and ideas.

Attachments

• Transom Locker cutout.jpg
    Transom Locker cutout.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 98

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I thought that the locker was shaped purposely for a propane cylinder, especially since a propane system was an option.
:confused:

EGregerson

Member III
Imagine

You know...I was just sitting here looking at that and wondering if i could just fit a cannister in that hole. all i need do now is find a 34 with that setup. I'd prefer to do it the 'factory style' if possible. thanks.

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Eric - I made the conversion back in the 90s. I bought the stove parts from Seaward Products, who made the Gas Systems stove, and did it myself. It was easy to do providing you can work inside the lazarette.

There is an existing vent in the bottom of the locker and solenoid wires located in the lazarette by the locker. There are also solenoid wires brought to the cabinet in the galley over the stove for a light to indicate that the valve is open. The wires are gray/white and black and are connected to the Stove breaker on the panel.

I put the 10# tank in the locker along with a the regulator, solenoid valve, and a manual valve for my gas grill. I tied the tank down with shock cord. The stove hose ran through the aft cabin tied to the shelf, through the hanging locker to the galley. I brought the hose for the grill out through the transom protected by a clamshell vent filled with sealant. Where the hoses go through the locker I used vapor tight thru-fittings.

I replaced the high pressure regulator on the grill with a low pressure unit.

I plan to go up to my boat Saturday or Sunday and if I can open the lazarette will take some pics of the set up. I don't know how much ice and snow I will encounter.

Attachments

• Xanthus interior 009A.jpg
    Xanthus interior 009A.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 98

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Here are a couple of pics I took yesterday of my propane locker. Very little ice or snow, but 2*F with some wind when I got there. Warm salty water is starting to sound better and better.

At least I found out that the new lifelines fit. If only I had remembered the genny rollers before I wired the turnbuckles. :mad:

Attachments

• Propane locker 003 (Medium).jpg
    Propane locker 003 (Medium).jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 55
  • Propane locker 001 (Medium).jpg
    Propane locker 001 (Medium).jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 50

EGregerson

Member III
Cooking with Gas

Thanks Tom;
I wondered how you got the regulator, soledoid and gauge all in the compartment. I've got the lpg cylinder in and operational but I need to wall mount the regulator; that way there some slack in the hose. I didn't use the solenoid wires; a few weeks ago i replaced the Stove breaker with a 20 amp for a macerator. All I need to do now is lock down the cylinder; then it's sailing time on Biscayne Bay. Did you say 2*F? 2*? shivver. I saw Punxsutawney Phil in the Coconut Grove; he was wearing sunglasses, a hawaiian shirt and spf 30. :cool:

Thanks for the guidance; this is a great site.

Attachments

• Tank in Locker w Hole s.JPG
    Tank in Locker w Hole s.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Eric - Propane is dangerous stuff if you don't handle it correctly. I have attached an old copy of the ABYC code. There is a 2006 revision which I don't have.

It looks like you just bored a clearance hole for the LPG line coming from the regulator. This is a major NO-NO because it allows gas to escape into the lazarette, engine compartment, and cabin. Any leakage must be allowed to exit under the tank and out of the boat. The seals I used are available at most chandleries, Defender, WM, etc.

BTW, the vent has to be checked periodically to be sure there are no spiders in residence or other blockages. I use a water hose to clean it out.

You should have a gauge mounted on the input to your regulator so you can test for leaks. Using a cigarette lighter to check for propane leaks is not good practice. The gauge is required to meet code.

Similarly, you should have a solenoid valve after the regulator so you can easily turn off the tank after use. You do not want to discover an open stove burner with a loud bang. The solenoid valve eliminates the need for a main valve inside the boat per code. I would mount a new breaker for your macerator since the wiring exists for the solenoid and the panel is labeled.

The tank should be restrained so it can't damage the regulator in a seaway.

Making these changes will greatly increase the safety factor when using LPG on your boat and will also get you past a survey if you are ever required to have one.

Attachments

• ABYC LPG standard.pdf
    75.8 KB · Views: 421