• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Try for the Isthmus again

Sven

Seglare
The weather messed up the MLK weekend plans for the Isthmus, but we're hoping to head out this coming Friday morning, coming back on Sunday.

Anybody else ?

-Sven

windjunkee

Member III
Sven,

I will be involved in a PSSA single/doublehand race from MdR to Ship Rock and return on Saturday, so we'll be close to two harbors without actually going in. I promise I'll wave though.

Jim McCone
Voice of Reason E-32-2 Hull #134
Redondo Beach, CA

Sven

Seglare
What time do you expect to round Ship Rock (if you do) ?

Maybe we'll motor out there to see the race :)

-Sven

Sven

Seglare
It was wonderful !

The "sail" part was kind of missing, but it was great !

We did actually get to sail almost all the way to the Isthmus, just motored the last 4 (?) NM. On the way back we only raised the main to steady ourselves as we had almost no wind at all until we got close to Angeles Gate.

Jim, we did see the race and kept our radio on to see if there was any traffic but we didn't hear anything. It was humorous to hear the harbor patrol, we missed the first part of the discussion but apparently the harbor patrol said something about things getting busy, then harbor base came back with something like "well, they are probably all part of the round-ship-rock race, otherwise you will be very busy !".

-Sven

windjunkee

Member III
Sven,

We had time to see the boats in the harbor but that was about it. We were coming off a very very tight spinnaker reach in 10-12 knots (double handed, that can be challenging). The wind held all the way to Ship Rock. I could only imagine what it looked like as our field was pretty well grouped, with 19 boats in a line as we rounded Ship Rock and headed back across the channel.
It started out slow, but by around 2 it had picked up to a steady 10-12 and held into the evening. We finished at 7:40 pm, meaning that we completed the 50 nm course in 8 hours and 40 minutes. Thats with 2 1/2 hours of drifting at the start. It was a beautiful sail, with a nice reach over and back.

Jim McCone
Voice of Reason E-32 Hull #134
Redondo Beach, CA