• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

How's Cabrillo ? Do we need to drive down ?

Glyn Judson

How's Cabrillo?

Sven, Not sure it's too important to check on the boat, I'll bet she's just fine. But if you do decide to drive there, it won't be such a hike now. According to NOAA and the NWS, Cabrillo is now just north of Malibu. Glad to help, think nothing of it, Glyn

Meanolddad

Member III
Can't hurt Sven, I checked on Regulus last night at Al Larsons on the way to work and will probably do the same tonight. A little more water in the bilge than normal and one burst fender. There were a few boats with broken dock lines around the marina. The E-39 that always seem to drag it's mooring was still there though. Last time they found her drifting out through Angels Gate without having hit anything. Probably looking for an owner that will take care of her.:egrin:

Greg

Sven

Seglare
Hi Greg,

Thanks for the reply.

From the LA Times:

At Peter's Landing Marina in Huntington Harbour, manager Scott Seaton watched through the window as a "cyclone" came over the building and touched down in the marina. At one point, Seaton watched it pick up a 40-foot catamaran, twirl it several feet in the air, then drop it on top of another boat.

And then flooding and wind damage in San Pedro.

The flooding sounded bad enoug to keep me from trying to drive down there last night, probably would have gotten stuck on the freeway ? Maybe I'll try to get down there in the morning, before the next wave of rain and wind hits. It sounds like anything not tied down (like dock steps) might be projectiles.

-Sven

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
All's fairing well in Cabrillo Marina. I was down Monday night and Tuesday afternoon after the big rain cell passed. I saw a few Guy's haul a hard dink back up on the dock across from me. Also saw a couple furling jibs partially unfurled. Other than that things looked OK. Sven, we are both in a very protected part of the Marina. I did not look at your boat, but every thing in the general area looked just fine.

Parts of San Pedro did not fair as well. A couple of blocks were badly flooded around 4th & Grand. It's a low lying area in the rougher part of town. A Liquor store and some low rent duplexes got swamped. Cars were almost under water. I went down to Cabrillo beach around 3pm and the Surf was spectacular. When some waves hit the break water I swear they would splash up about four stories. I will post some videos on YouTube later. Just glad we were spared the water spouts and tornados that hit Orange County. Did you all see the trimaran that was flipped over on to another boat on the news? Huntington Beach I think.:esad:

Meanolddad

Member III
Pumped Regulus's bilge again, I have not had to do that twice in the last year. Everything looked ok at our marina. The boats that had broken their dock lines were tied back up. A neglected Catalina 27 has shredded her mainsail. I had that happen once on an O'day 240 we used to own while we were away on vacation. That is why I try to get down to the marina everytime there is any bad weather.

Glad you missed the flooding Jeff, I was thinking about you.

Hope all is well

Greg

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Yeah,

I pumped about a half gallon out after both storms. I am not sure where it's coming in from. I think it's getting in somewhere around the stern because some of it collects in the well under the engine. Possibly my cockpit scuppers leaking or it's getting in through the cowl vents on the transom. I rebedded my chain plates last year and now no water collecting on the shelves above the settees. I used to think it was coming in around the windows but that wasn't the case. All and all the boats pretty dry. Most of the water that is coming in collects in the bilge.

These heavy rains are a good time to trace those leaks.

Bill Upchurch

Member II
I went down to Cabrillo last night and found that all was well with my boat. However, I have never seen so much debris. Every waterway and slip at CBYC was covered with crap. Bottles, cups, pieces of wood and leaves and just assorted junk. If I weighed about a hundred pounds less I think I could have walked across the water This is the stuff that is thrown on the ground and into the streets in Los Angeles and are transported down to the Ocean by the rain water runoff.

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Wow, I did not make it down to the Marina yesterday because traffic was so messed up. I commute on the 710 and it was flooded at rush hour for the second day in a row. Had to take a broad reach around other freeways to get home well after dark. Gonna get down there tonight for sure after hearing your report Bill. Thanks.

Meanolddad

Member III
Our marina was also full of crap when I checked on Regulus last night. No additional water in the bilge this time. Looked like it had been a rough day though.

Greg

Sven

Seglare
We need a webcam in the marina !

Hearing about pelicans suffering from hypothermia and hearing about the winds back down there and then getting hammered by rain wind and hail up here above Pasadena I sure wonder how things are going down there.

At least our dock lines were in good shape yesterday.

-Sven

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Well I got down to my boat last night. Bill is right, lots of crap in the water. On my dock it was mostly in the leeward slips. Quite a bit of oil and even spilled fuel. The smell of fuel was pretty strong. My boat looked good. I flipped on my wind speed indicator around 5pm and it was blowing 18+ knots. My dinghy cover had split in the seam. Looks like I'm gonna have to take a trip to Pelican's Loft for some stitching. I hope we have a good break from the rain this Weekend. Forecast calls for more Monday. Sheesh!

Glyn Judson

Visited the boat today.

Greg, Jeff, Sven and all, I was inspired to visit our boat today after reading about all of you responsible owners checking on yours. There was maybe a quart in the bilge and a silver dollar sized puddle of water on the nav station. Our boat is fitted with opening bronze port lights and the water was directly beneath one of the dogs. Phew, dodged another bullet. What's this about more rain headed our way Tuesday? Glyn