• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

One Tough Hombre

WBurgner

Member III
The MOB thread reminded me of an article in a boating magazine between 1990 and 1995 entitled 'One Tough Hombre' that told the story of a 72 year old singlehander that fell overboard off Central America. He was a half day off shore when he went over, yet swam through the remainder of the day and most of the night before being washed up, naked, on a rocky cliff. Due to the rough terrain he swam during daylight hours for three days, clinging to rocks at night, before coming to a beach with a trail inland. He sought shelter by breaking in to a turtle researcher's shack and consumed canned goods. The story continues with the researchers returning and having him arrested for breaking and entering. His son from Los Angeles was eventually able to smuggle him back to the states.

It was a good read, particularly for for anyone contemplating singlehanded voyaging.

The point of my bringing it up is to see if anyone recalls this story and what magazine it was published in. I have been trying to get a reprint, but can't find its origin.

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
In navy survival training there was a story on a wall of the record for survival at sea, which happened after a merchant ship was torpedoed off Africa in WWII. He climbed on a piece of wreckage, on which he was able to catch rainwater, then managed to make a hook out of a clip on a light he was carrying, used along with some floating line, with which he caught fish, and put out the entrails to attract birds. He eventually drifted to the coast of Brazil, where he was picked up by fishermen, after 104 days.

Gareth
Freyja E35 241 1972