• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Two Harbors

Sven

Seglare
Hi Jeff,

Where is everybody?

I was going to ask where you have been :)

We'll be out there some days between 12-18 and 1-4. The only reason why we wouldn't make it is if the mast somehow doesn't get put back in before the 17th.

Do you have plans to head out there ?

-Sven

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Well hello Sven & Nancy,

I was up in the Puget Sound visiting family for the week of Thanksgiving. I have been doing a bit of maintenance on the Cucamonga aloft. Had to replace my wind speed cups amongst other things. Taking advantage of the not so great sailing weather we are having to varnish the tiller and other maintenance. I also finally broke down and got new jib sheets at Minnie's (love that shop). Man you could tell I sail a lot by the wear on the old ones. I have a concert to go to on the 19th so I won't be going over that weekend.

Where did you have your mast pulled? Who's doing your rigging?

I just thought the So Cal section needed a wake up call. Been very quite on this site lately. Economy, cooler weather?

Beam Winds

Jeff

Sven

Seglare
Hi Jeff,

Where did you have your mast pulled? Who's doing your rigging?

Todd Wheatley (sp ?) of Bahia Marine is redoing all the standing rigging and upgrades.

The mast got pulled at the shipyard down in Los Alomitos, the one to the right just before you hit the bridge.

The spars are being completely refinished by Steve Phelps of Captain Glass. We will probably also ask him to try to repair all the cosmetic damage that "Chico" did when he took it on himself to try to do gelcoat repairs without permission.

Steve will also enlarge the holes in the coamings so that the genoa sheets will run free from the footblocks to the winches.

Hobie Irwin is doing the diesel maintenance, including the exhaust elbow replacement and hooking up temp and oil pressure alarms.

We're doing preventative Smith's sealing and now have all the hatch parts (still not done varnishing).

I just thought the So Cal section needed a wake up call. Been very quite on this site lately. Economy, cooler weather?

I agree. Maybe we'll get some more activity after the holidays.

We're sure looking forward to going for a real 2-week cruise if the weather gods allow the rigging to be done and us to set out over the holidays.

We feel like wimps when we complain about the cold (32 degrees) and rain; my friend back in Sweden will be taking his family out on their Benateau (sp ?) 45 over the holidays. His area has a forecast of 24 degrees, flurries and up to 20 knots of wind. Did I mention that he thought we were foolhardy for doing 8 kts close hauled in less than 100 yd visibility ? :egrin: He did tell Nancy that he'd let her know how well the electrically heated gloves work out.

-Sven

Meanolddad

Member III
Hey Jeff and Sven

Just walked in the door from my 5th 16 hour day in a row. With the way the economy is I am not complaining about to much work. Have a bunch of young guys that do not want to put in any extra time. Probably will have to go out again with all the rain that is supposed to be coming.

We have not gone sailing nearly as much as as I would like. Luis, my boat maintenance guy is happy because I keep throwing money at him to take care of projects I would rather be doing myself, except for the varnish, I hate that.

As Jeff knows I did spend one recent nice weekend in SoCal fighting a snow storm in Utah trying to make it back home. Just to let you know Jeff, my friend is happily riding his eBay Vespa that we picked up in Idaho. Just glad I goofed and sent you the text meant for my daughter, not the one for my wife!!!:redface:

Are there any plans yet for the 2010 SoCal Ericson Rendezvous? We all really enjoyed the last one.

Hope to see you all on the water
Greg

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Hey Sven & Greg,

Great to hear from you both. Between Holiday obligations, nasty weather and a lot of little boat maintenance projects I have not been out of the slip in about two months myself. I made some progress on the refinishing of my tiller. Going to put a coat or two on per day all this week. I am hoping to get out for a couple of day sails on the Christmas & New Years weekends.

Yes Greg we should probably start talking about another EYo Two Harbors Gathering after the Holiday's pass. Sven I hear good things about Bahia Marine. They re rigged my friends E-25. My old rigger has moved out of the country so when and if I need another rigger I would likely check Bahia Marine out. Although I have been up my mast 3 times already this Fall as well as up my friends Catalina 27 a couple of times. I am getting pretty confident aloft now. Marina Ship Yard is a great place.

Sven

Seglare
I know what you mean about not getting out. I think the rigging job took six weeks of no boating. On Sunday we finally got back out and at least went to the fuel dock and bunkered 47 gallons. That will hold us for a while and made some oil baron some pocket change :eek:

I think the SW gathering sounds like a great idea ! If you don't watch it I'l nominate you as the chairman again :egrin:

-Sven

Sven

Seglare
Hi Martin,

Headed over for New Years. Anybody else going?

As is our habit ... we must have missed each other ? We were there and even had the Harbor Reef restaurant New Year's dinner.

After two weeks out we finallt headed back to Cabrillo yesterday. Two weeks is too short :egrin:

-Sven

Bill Upchurch

Member II
Jeff,

Were you around Angels Gate yesterday about noon? My Grandsons and I were on our Cal 20 and were on our way in. I couldn't quite make out the Boat name, but it looked like yours.

Bill

windjunkee

Member III
How do you like THIS for a race -- The annual DRYC "Berger" race from MdR to Malibu pier and back was this past saturday. There were 63 boats entered, including the 70 foot maxi "Medicine Man". The maxi's started out first after a 25 minute delay. Voice of Reason was in PHRF "C", finally starting at 11:55. It was a beautiful day on the water, with temperatures in the low 70's and clear blue skies.

Luckily we brought wine and Painkillers, as with a cutoff of 6 pm, we realized that by 3:45, when we were still 5 miles from the turning mark, we had no hope of finishing. Ultimately, ONE boat finished, with 62 DNF's. Still it was a nice day out there.

Jim McCone
Voice of Reason E-32-2 Hull #134
Redondo Beach, CA

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Hey there Bill,

I was! I saw a nifty looking Cal 20 near the Angels Gate on Sunday. So you must have seen me too. I was out New Years Day as well. Saw quite a few dolphins inside and out side of the harbor. Also saw about 3 Gray Whales off Pt. Fermin. It was a great way to ring in the New Year. Would'a, Should'a, Could'a gone to Catalina! What a beautiful weekend.

Happy New Years to all my EYO friends!
:esad:

Last edited:

Sven

Seglare
Jeff,

Also saw about 3 Gray Whales off Pt. Fermin.

Is that what they are ? When we sailed out on the 19th we ended up in a feeding frenzy including birds, fish, dolphins, krill (?) and a pod of large whales. The still pictures of the whales didn't come out all that great but Nancy got some video clips of the bird activity and shrieking. Everyboy seemed to be eating everyone. On the way back on the 1st we saw another pod of large whales behind us, nearer Catalina.

-Sven

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
I love catalina in the winter. We ended up heading over on New Years
day and after spending a rolly night at Cherry, headed over to Cat
for the rest of the weekend. Sunny, low 70's, and no crowds to
deal with. Just a lone buffalo wandering around two harbors. At the west
end, we were treated to dolphin and whales and Diane got some great
footage as the water had glassed off. Can't wait to go back.

Meanolddad

Member III
Hey Jeff and Bill

We also saw you Bill on your 20 as you were coming in the gate. I remember pointing out your Cal 20 to Jessica. We must have been just behind you Jeff, sorry we missed you. We hit the gate a little after noon. We followed a Catalina 34 and Cal 25 out. Sailed out then up towards Point Fermin and ghosted back.

Hope to see you all on the water

Greg

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Glad to see so many Viking's took advantage of our great New Years weekend.

Martin & Diane, the name of that Buffalo (Bison) is "Wilson". I found out about him from the Harbor Master, he was ousted from the herd buy the younger Bulls and has been a resident of Cat Harbor for quite a few years now. I asked if they ever had any trouble with Wilson and the Harbor Master said that he had been known to get a little "Cantankerous" at times.
:egrin:

Sven

Seglare
We're going back this Friday through Monday

Nancy and I will be headed to the Isthmus this weekend. We'll head out Friday morning and come back in the afternoon on Monday.

Now that we have the name on the stern we have to take Senta out so she can strut her finery :)

Anyone else ?

-Sven

Attachments

• DSC_1308.jpg
    DSC_1308.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 25

windjunkee

Member III
Sven,

Voice of Reason won't be over there this weekend, but myself and one of my crew will be on the island running the Avalon Benefit 50 mile Run, which dips through the isthmus at around the midway point of the run. So if you're not doing anything late Saturday morning, come on out and cheer the runners along.

Jim McCone
Voice of Reason E-32 Hull #134
Redondo Beach, CA

Sven

Seglare
Voice of Reason won't be over there this weekend, but myself and one of my crew will be on the island running the Avalon Benefit 50 mile Run, which dips through the isthmus at around the midway point of the run. So if you're not doing anything late Saturday morning, come on out and cheer the runners along.

Will do.

We were there after some marathon a few years ago. Couldn't figure out why the showers had NO hot water ... that's how we found out about the marathon.

-Sven