• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Question regarding sails and tiller

Ronnie

Where can I locate a manual or emergency tiller, i have nothing in case the wheel steering goes out? Please help. Oh and who does anyone suggest for a new mainsail, especially in the ventura area? Reasonable.;)

Last edited:

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Hi Ronnie,

I recommend Ullman Sails in Ventura, They are at 3639 E. Harbor Blvd. STE #111. (805) 644-9579. You can get a tiller that will fit your boat at West Marine in Ventura or Channel Islands.

I used to have a 22' boat up there, but I now have an E-27 in San Pedro. Hey, what boat yard are you dealing with in Channel Islands? I had some bad experiences up there with a certain boat yard. You don't have to tell me. It's not nice to name names on line.

Jeff

Ronnie

HI Jeff,

Thanks for the info. I already contacted Ullman and they are making my sail. And I definitely will try West Marine, as I have a pretty big wish list. The boatyard I was dealing with was Anacapa and the other one was Channel Islands. I have had no experience with Channel Islands so I can't say whether I would be treated good or bad. But I can say that Anacapa would not agree to the work I requested and they were pushing for a new bottom. So, I launched the boat and I will do more investigative work over the summer. There is a boatyard in Ventura and a guy by the name of Otto works there. He has an excellent reputation. Ironically, he used to work at Anacapa, that's why my boat friends recommended this yard.

Jeff. lets just say I am learning a lot about owning a boat, more than I thought I would have to know. Thanks for your advice.
Ronnie

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Ronnie,
I've done business with Ventura Harbor boatyard about
3 years ago and found them to be pretty easy to deal with,
and they didn't try to take the shirt off my back. I'd give them
a thumbs up.

Martin

Ronnie

Hi Martin,
Yes, thanks for the input. I have heard the same about Ventura boatyard. I will definitely pay them a visit. I have pictures of the bottom, so I will get an estimate before I even have it hauled out again.
Ronnie

Siltbird

Member I
It's a great boat

Ronnie- I have an '84 30+ in Marina del Rey. It's also my first real boat, and I was somewhat overwhelmed when I first got it. Just know you've made a great choice. These things are built like rocks, and when you start to get used to it, you'll find you're not dealing with a lot of problems Catalina, Newport and Hunter owners go through. You'll also find yourself sailing past them. I'd love to see some pictures if you want to email them or post them.

-Dave

Ronnie

Hi Dave,
Thanks for the info. Yes, every time I tell someone in the boating community that I bought an Ericson, I am told that I have purchased a great vessel. Ericson really has a solid name and is revered as a strong seaworthy boat. Originally, I was going to buy a Hunter, and the seller reneged and sold it to someone else at a higher price. Now, I am glad he did, because I would have never have thought of an Ericson. I will send you some pictures as soon as I take some. I have the broker pictures but they aren't that good. Actually, this boat looks better than the pictures, whereas, my prior experience with some online pictures were the opposite. The boats looked real good in the pictures but seeing them in person, they needed lots of work. Maybe, we should take turns sailing with each other. Just a thought.
Ronnie