• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Bottom Problem

Ronnie

:boohoo: I just purchased a 30+ Ericson and the surveyor told me I would need new bottom paint. The survey states a prep and bottom paint. Well I have since had it hauled out and the boat yard says I need a new bottom, period. To the tune of $3600.00. Do I have any recourse against the surveyor,brokers or seller. It has been observed by another boatyard owner that the seller may have tried to camaflouge the problem. There are some blisters, but the real problem is the paint itself. It is flaking away and preping the flaked areas will not be remedy because it will continue to flake later on.

SingPilot

Tough Call

Did your surveyor inspect the bottom while the boat was out of the water? Who reccommended the surveyor? Did you give him instructions (go easy, go tough) that might have clouded his vision? Why would another boatyard say that, unless they KNEW that the seller had tried to 'camoflage'..... Hmmmmm. Lots cooking in that pot. Boatyards look at a bottom paint job as a loss leader. Not saying they all do it, but how you gonna sell anything unless you try. At the least, you need another opinion. Good money after bad? Might be cheap insurance if you decide to go after someone, or not to do the bottom. At this point your insurance comapny only knows what is in the survey, and will ask you to comply with those written findings (new bottom paint).

Lots to think about.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Presuming that you picked a good surveyor in the first place, I would look askance at the boatyard's advice...

Local boatyards around here (PDX) make money on their regular bottom jobs, and consider them the bread and butter of their business. Do you have another local yard to consult with?

It does sound like the old paint needs to be removed down to whatever level reveals well-adhered paint. Then, any areas of blisters need to be filled and faired. Considering that this involves some ugly sanding (even with the vacume sander), I could see the price rising to around $900 or a thou.
For a $$ comparison with a high quality yard, look at this web site;
http://www.schoonercreek.com/service_yard/rates.htm

They normally do my 34 footer for around $900, and reduce it in the fall...

Your 30+ model is a very good looking Ericson. I hope that you get many years/decades of pleasure out of it!

Best,
Loren
Olson 34 #8, Portland, OR

Ronnie

Hi Loren,
I wish i could say that is all they quoted me; unfortunately, it is double that amount. Here it tends to be more expensive. There is extra prep work involved. I am taking it out of the boat yard tomorrow, and the other boatyard has given me their estimate. I plan to use the boat through the summer while investigating a couple of other yards and subcontractors. Additionally, both of these yards do not have the best reputations. Thanks for your imput. I do believe there is extra work to be done; however, I am not going to put a new bottom on it. I know that I can have the bottom sufficiently maintained without going to such an expense. Otherwise I agree that the boat is a nice boat and overall it is a very clean boat. I plan to get a lot of enjoyment out of it. Now, if I only knew how to sail! :egrin: Have a good evening!

escapade

Inactive Member
Ronnie;
The Gougeon Bros. (West System Epoxy) publish a booklet on Gelcoat Blisters Diagnosis, Repair & Prevention #002-650 available from West Marine, Boat US, etc. This is a very good buy @ $2.99. It will give you an idea of what you are looking at and an appropriate course of action on a repair job. It won't make you an expert but after reading through it you will have a better idea of how bad your bottom really is and if the boat yard your dealing with knows what they are doing or just trying to seperate you from your hard earned money! Interlux Paints (www.yachtpaint.com) has some good info also. Do your homework and when you haulout this fall you'll be able to have a much more intelegent discussion with the yard. BTY had a 30+ for 8 years & loved the boat. Seaworthy & goes to weather like jet stink!! Bud "Escapade" 1988 E34