• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Where is everyone???

noproblemo2

Member III
What's up So. Cal this area has sure been awfully quiet lately, isn't anyone doing anything? Our good weather is here let's enjoy some sailing!!!:egrin:

SingPilot

Spectacular!

Everyone in SoCal is out sailing... I am!

Have been out almost every day in the E32. The Hunter is still apart for projects. When the H43 gets to the point where I can drop lines and sail at the drop of a hat, I'll put the E32 up for sail, er...., I mean sale.

I leave next Monday for 2 weeks in Avalon in the H43. Stop by if you're out. Name is 'Pacific Breeze'

Michael Krebs
E32-134
"Voice of Reason"
Redondo-King Harbor, Ca.

Jim Payton

Inactive Member
Sailing

I'm here in San Diego. Sail as often as I can get down to the boat. I have an older E26. I sail from Chula Vista Marina. For those that aren't familiar with San Diego bay, that's the most southern marina inside the bay. In order to leave the bay and sail into open sea it takes any where from 2 to 2 1/2 hours and as much as 3 or 4 hours depending on wind conditions. I've never sailed to Avalon or any where on Catalina. That is a goal that I have. I've been told that it is anywhere from 15 to 20 hours of sailing from San Diego to Catalina. My boat and I are not quite ready for that yet. Any advise on what needs to be done to make the journey from here to there would be more than welcome.
My concerns are 1) I think I need more than a weekend to get there and back and still enjoy time ashore in Avalon, and 2) I'm afraid that when I get to Avalon I won't be able to get a mooring and I would need to sail to some other place after sailing 15 to 20 hours I would be exhausted.
Are these just exuses for not sailing to Catalina?
I know my sailing skills are good enough to make the trip, but I'm still nervous about going.

Attachments

• doldrums at home.jpg
    doldrums at home.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 145

SingPilot

San Diego to Catalina

Jim,

I have done the San Diego to Catalina run almost every year (after the Ensenada Race). I am usually singlehanding, and will usually motorsail (early morning departure from Shelter Island guest dock) to Dana Point arriving mid afternoon. Spend the night there (great Muni Guest docks, showers, choice of restaurants), then motorsail again early morning depart to Avalon arriving early afternoon again. If you arrive in Avalon mid-week, you are pretty much assured of a moorning thru the weekend. The sail from Avalon back to San Diego will be downwind, and even tho it is still a healthy mileage, will seem to fly by because of the easy point of sail. You could break this up into a multi weekend deal by leaving the boat at Dana Point, or at Avalon (not allowed technically) and then not have such a burden of the travel times.

Michael Krebs
E32-134

Jim Payton

Inactive Member
Thank You, SingPilot, that's the kind of info I need to help me plan this sail. I'm gonna do it. Just need to clear a few days in the work calander. I'm not ready for a single hander yet so I'll take a sailing buddy. My wife gets sea sick in our little boat, so me and my buddy Rick will try it the first time and meet our lady's there in Avalon. They can take the ferry out of Long Beach. It's going to take some planning but - I'm gonna do it.

dpbishop

Jim,

If you can, schedule your trip for early september, after labor day.. The weather is usually good and the crowds are gone, you should have no problem getting a mooring. We usually motor over, starting in the evening, it takes 12-14 hours fron San Diego depending on conditions. Avalon has more to do on shore but the isthmus has better diving.

NGB

Member II
My questions are similar to Jim's, and everyone has provided good information. I appreciate it. So, Jim, you keep asking the questions, and I will keep going to school on the answers.