• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Replacing Campionway Hatches

Michael

Does anyone know options for replacing the plywood hatches on Ericsons? I've got a 1978 Ericson 34T that has the common problem of plywood delimanation, and am considering having it replaced with fiberglass or other...

Is this a custom fabrication project, or are there other sources?

How do you get the hatch off?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Are you talking about the sliding hatch? the salon and/or fore hatch? I have seen a clean installation at our YC on an E-30 where the owner put new alloy hatches on the later two. Contact me off-list for his address.
Replacing the slider would be tricky. Ericson put Atkins Hoyle slider assemblies on the early E-38. Or, perhaps you could make a new "stock" hatch out of composite.

I replaced the 3 hatch boards on our boat with a single honeycombed "board". Lots lighter, and just as strong, and warp-free... And, no more varnishing.

Loren in PDX
Olson 34 #8

jwolfgra

Member II
I had to replace the companion way hatch on my e29 a few years ago, plywood delamination. I ended up having on custom made, there was a guy in the marina who was a pretty good wood worker. He steamed some teak vaneered marine plywood to get the correct bend, and mated it to a wood frame, that was grooved to fit the attaching rails. He charged about 300 to do the job.

On my boat, removing the hatch is pretty easy. Merely unscrew the Stainless rails that hold the hatch on, slide the rails out, then lift and remove the hatch. I do it once a year for refinishing. In the SF bay area, after May chances of rain are almost zero, so I just leave the boat open and take the gear home where it's easier to work in the garage.

Hope this helps a little bit, good luck.

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
I happen to be doing this project on my 31C. In my case,
I am vacuum bagging 1/4 inch solid teak veneer over plywood
using a form whose curve was taken from the old hatch. I'm
guessing your hatch will come off after you take out the screws
for the runners.

Martin

jwolfgra

Member II
This is intriguing, what was the form made out of? Are you using the vacume bag as a way to get the ply to take the shape?

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
The form can be made out of scrap ply or MDF. The vacuum
bag is the best way to apply even clamping pressure over
the entire surface ensuring a void free laminate. Pretty
standard stuff.

Martin

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
FYI: an alloy slider...

Found: a picture from a brokerage site showing the Atkins Hoyle main sliding hatch on an '81 Ericson 38.
Note that it is fully framed.
I have no idea if AH can still provide these, however, but one could always ask.

Loren

Attachments

• E-38 AtkinsHoyleHatch.jpg
    E-38 AtkinsHoyleHatch.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 156
Last edited: