• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Water in thru drains on E34T

Michael

Does anyone know how to eliminate water from entering the cockpit through the cockpit drains, while heeling?

This is a 1978 Ericson 34T, and when she heels past 18 degrees, a siginificant amount of sea water enters through the leeward side cockpit drain. When she flattens out, the water drains away.

I've checked the thru-holes [location=low center transom, behind rudder mount] and checked plumbing, and all seems normal.

I've concluded that this is basically a design-flaw, but am not certain. The sea water that enters is always at or very near the waterline level at heel.

What, if anything, can be done about it?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Same thing happens when "rail down" going full tilt boogie to weather on my friend's E-33 (Holland design). He has a T shaped cockpit and this only bothers the driver standing in the low side of the "T".
Others boat makes solve the same problem by crossing the drain hoses on their way to the transom -- only down side with this is that it will slightly slow the draining of serious water from the top, like the greenie you took over the combing.
:rolleyes:

If the water is only about an inch deep... you could use this an excuse to put in a grating over the cockpit sole and "class up" the boat and raise your shoes out of the water.
:)

Well, it was just an idea....

Best,

Loren