• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Catalina next week

paul culver

Member III
Any SoCals headed out to Catalina? I should be there Aug 18 -20, mostly at Isthmus. Let me know if you plan to be there too and I'll keep an eye out.

Paul
E29 "Bear"

MMLOGAN

Member III
Paul,

I'll be in Avalon starting the 14th and departing the 24th or so.

Wrap on the hull if you come to the east end.

Matt
E35-3
Wind Chaser

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
I am going to be at Cat Harbor from the 29th to around the 4th. Possibly a little time at Little Harbor and even Santa Barbara Island. No "Wrap" music please. Looking forward to quiet nights at Cat harbor with no swell or mooring fees.:devil:

:egrin:

Last edited:

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Just spent 4 nights over at Cherry. Since we usually are there
in the fall and winter months, I'd forgotten what a zoo it is during
summer. Twice we were rammed while on the mooring by kids who
were kayaking, and nearly lost our bow hauser when a couple in one
of these big rib dinghys managed to drive halfway up it and got stuck.
Speaking of dinghys, it was so thick at the dinghy dock by mid morning
that I just started beaching it whenever we needed to go ashore.

Be heading back for more fun at the end of August.

Last edited:

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Yeah Martin, I feel your pain. I had a weekend like that over there last September actually. Came in on a Friday and all was copasetic until Saturday Afternoon when every body and their Mother's In Laws showed up. I spent the rest of the day sitting in the cockpit with the boat hook fending off some very inexperienced types. Also assisted the power boat next to me in unfowling their prop from the sand line. Personally the Two Harbors area and near by coves are getting a little old because of the Zoo factor. It's OK in the early Spring or late Fall, but I am passing in the Summer. That's why I am heading for the back side. I will be at Cat Harbor on the 29th or 30th. If things look any better on the other side come Monday I may check it out.

I have stopped by Sven & Nancy's Senta II a couple times recently and they said they will be headed to Two Harbors, that weekend. I am sure I will be making frequent trips up the path to Two Harbors for some socializing on the other side. Probably tote my snorkeling gear over there. I will be meeting up with the Catalina 27, Seeker with my buddy's Anthony & Alifo. We may attempt a day sail to Santa Barbara Island as well. I may possibly anchor over at Little Harbor for a night. Who knows. I may snag that Can at Little Geiger for once on the way back. It's all in the wind.

Saving a few vacation days for October after Lobster season starts.

Beam Winds

Skipper Jeff

paul culver

Member III
Crowds were down at Isthmus Tuesday-Thursday but boats were pouring in when we left Friday morning. We went to Dana for our last night and strong southeast winds arrived at 5:00 am, causing the boat next to us to drag across the anchorage and into a boat at the far end. Later in the morning, waves crashing over the jetty knocked four sightseers off the rocks and into the harbor. Lots of excitement in the rescue but they all walked away OK. The southeast seas added two hours to our return trip to Oceanside.

Paul
E29 "Bear"

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Hey Paul & Martin,

Any reports on how crowded Cat Harbor looked while you were over there. I can always check out the web cam for the Isthmus but I can't see what's happing on the back side.

So Paul, sounds like you had some weather. I would think usually you would have a following sea sailing down to Oceanside. Were you on anchor or at a slip when those big seas hit Dana Point?

My plan still stands to get over to Cat Harbor next Saturday. Hoping to anchor in front of all the moorings.

Jeff

paul culver

Member III
Hi Jeff

Didn't hear anything about Cat Harbor and as usual I didn't walk any further than the Harbor Reef saloon so I can't give you a first-hand report. Too bad Google Earth doesn't continually update.

I was at anchor in Dana near the s/v Pilgrim. Fortunately strong winds at my arrival led me to set more scope than usual, and that paid off the following morning. And you're right about Dana to Oceanside -- its usually a piece of cake. This is the first time in 25 years of making the trip I've had wind and seas on the nose for this leg.

Paul
E29 "Bear"

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Hi Jeff

I was at anchor in Dana near the s/v Pilgrim. Fortunately strong winds at my arrival led me to set more scope than usual, and that paid off the following morning. And you're right about Dana to Oceanside -- its usually a piece of cake. This is the first time in 25 years of making the trip I've had wind and seas on the nose for this leg.

Paul
E29 "Bear"

Good for you Paul, smart thinking. The weather has been pretty strange for August here in So Cal. Wonder what's in store for me next week.

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Hi Jeff,

Cat Harbor was not crowded at all when we were there. Just a couple boats
anchored out, and plenty of moorings available.

Martin

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Thanks Mike & Martin,

I knew about "Watch the Water" Mike. I often haven't been checking it as often though. The Two Harbors site actually tells you how many moorings are available. Don't know how often it's up dated though. As of yesterday is said 63 out of 65 were available at Cat Harbor, but looking at that photo Mike it looks like a few more boats than that. Not worried because I will be anchoring in front of them all.

If anyone's over there from Saturday into next week keep an eye out for me.

Can't wait to snorkel around in there and really see if there's cat litter on the bottom as Sven tells me there is.
:devil:

Attachments

• 6a00cdf39deee1cb8f0110161e8ad2860b-500pi.jpg
    6a00cdf39deee1cb8f0110161e8ad2860b-500pi.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 40

Sven

Seglare
Jeff,

Can't wait to snorkel around in there and really see if there's cat litter on the bottom as Sven tells me there is.
:devil:

I could definitely wait before doing that :rolleyes_d:

I don't remember who told us but he was referring to one of the long-time live-aboards with cats. Makes sense to me, I can't imagine too many going to the trouble of putting the cat litter+ into something and rowing it ashore to a garbage can.

Snorkle out by the mouth of the cove, the viz is much better there :)

-Sven