• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Rules For Cabrillo Marina ?

Nancy on Senta

Jeff might be the best source for this but it is for anybody who might know.

How much work can one do in the slips. I'm wondering about sanding, varnishing and painting. Things of that sort. Also are there any local yards that are reliable?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,

-Nancy

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Work at Cabrillo.

Hi Nancy. Love your Icon! The following was my reply I sent to Sven in a PM last week. Maybe he didn't get it.:confused:

I have used both Cabrillo Boat Yard & Marina Ship Yard, I prefer Marina Shipyard in Long Beach, Alamitos Bay, it's about a two hour trip south for me, but there are two marinas that are closer. Colonial is very close but I don't think they let you do your own work. They are supposed to be very good but expensive. There is Cabrillo Boat Yard and I stopped going there because the they could not give me a quote until they hauled the boat and we're a bit un pleasant the last time I talked to them. They also use a crane and I don't like the idea of a flying boat.

Cabrillo Marina has been pretty good as far as my experiences go with working on my boat. I think it comes down to not disturbing people and mainly Live A Boards in your general area with noise from power tools. I have seen quite a few boats get sanded and painted right in the slips. I am also far away from the office and the Dock Master who is named Darryl. I have heard talk that he can be difficult but to tell you the truth I have never seen him on a dock. I only see him at the Annual Marina Picnic which is coming up by the way and is a pretty good party with music, free food, booze and raffles.

I know other marinas don't tolerate any work. Cabrillo's pretty good. Check the The Marina Rules and Regulations section of your License Agreement.

Marina Shipyard :egrin::egrin::egrin::egrin:
6400 Marina Drive
Long Beach
CA 90803

Phone: (562) 594-0995
Fax: (562) 431-7457

Cabrillo Boat Shop :egrin::egrin:
500 Pier C Street
Long Beach, California
(562) 951-5768
http://www.cabrilloboatshop.com/

Colonial Yacht Anchorage :confused: Expensive?
Berth 204 Anchorage Rd.
Wilmington, CA* 90744
(310) 830-1161
Fax (310) 830-5343
http://www.colonialyacht.com/

Last edited:

Nancy on Senta

Thanks Jeff!

Thanks for the input. That gives us an idea of how things work in Cabrillo as well as some starting point for yards where we might want to have big jobs done.

I like my icon too! But I may have to grow my hair longer and become a blond ..... :)

-Nancy

P.S. Sven did get the message but he didn't show it to me .......

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
I see a lot of boats that are in the process of being sanded and painted or even getting major structural repairs done in the slips. I rarely hear the noise from the power tools though. I suspect the reason for that is that I am at work from 8 to 5 and I am only down after work an on the weekends. The work must be getting done during the week. I know one 40' power boat at my dock is in the process of tearing out all his teak decks right in the slip. So once again, Cabrillo and the tenants there seem to be pretty tolerant.

Meanolddad

Member III
Hi Nancy

I second Jeff's recommendation of Marina Shipyard. I have had work done at both Cabrillo Boat Yard and Marina Shipyard. Marina Shipyard just seems a lot more professional without any extra cost. It is great fun watching your boat ride the rails as they move it around the yard.

Greg

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Pictures worth a 1000 words

Pictures worth a 1000 words. Nancy, they use a 50 ton elevator and cradle system. All the cradles are on tracks that roll on and off the elevator. Once the boat has been placed in a cradle on the elevator, they raise it up and then the cradle and boat can be towed by tractor to a number of work locations via tracks in the yard. See the photos.

Attachments

• P1010001.jpg
    P1010001.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 54
  • P1010005.jpg
    P1010005.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 73
  • P1010013.jpg
    P1010013.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 82
  • P1010004.jpg
    P1010004.jpg
    245.7 KB · Views: 50

Mikebat

Member III
Denko's Yard (aka Wilmington Marine) in the inner harbor has the same type of rail system that Jeff's pictures show. I've hauled out Valinor there twice now. They do permit you to do your own work there.

Meanolddad

Member III
Nice response Jeff, I have the same pictures with Regulus. I like the rail system better than the crane at Cabrillo, not so far to fall if something goes wrong.
Greg

Nancy on Senta

Jeff/Mike/Greg,

That looks interesting. It just looks a little scary because it appears that the whole boat is supported by the keel alone. I'm sure it works fine though.

Thanks,

-Nancy