• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

GPS: To Map or Not to Map

Andy Rogers

Member II
I need to buy a GPS for use in the cockpit (Nirvana already has a Lat/Lon model in the nav station). I've been eyeing the Garmin GPSMAP 175 for a while now but I'm wondering if it is overkill. The unit + a large chart for my area would cost around $600 after rebate while a NavAid only unit (e.g. Garmin 48) would cost less than $200.

I haven't used a moving map version before so I'm not sure if the $400 premium is worth it. Any thoughts? Is there an increased safety factor in having the map version?

Thanks,

Andy

Bob Ells

Member I
Andy - Go for the unit with the chart, especially if you intend to use it in the cockpit. Not to confuse the issue I would look into the units with WAAS technology. Practical Sailor recently did a review of the Raytheon 320 - comes highly recommended. BTW - it would not be overkill if you were short or single handed. Bob Ells

Ray Rhode

Member III
Standard Horizon has a WASS GPS chartplotter which uses C-Map for $399. I work part time at West marine (to support my addiction) and I don't know how we will sell anything else in a fixed mount. Garmin has a WAAS GPS without chartplotter also for #399, but why would you do without the chartplotter? The new Standard Horizon unit has not been released yet. West will get the first units and they are not expected until late this month.

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
I have a Garmin 175. If you are ever in a situation where you can't see the shore (squall/night/fog) you will certainly want a GPS with a chart.

JORGE

Member III
Screen size for a GPS

I'm considering the purchase of the handheld GPS's -- Garmn 60C or 76C or the larger 276c, I would like to ask this forum..if I intend to mount it on the rail near the helm, will any of these units be do the job without fumbling (as when heeled), are the smaller screens too small to view?

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
I have had a Garmin 176 (black and white screen) for several years, and although the small screen takes a little concentration to use, I found it worth its weight in gold when single handing at night. As long as your eyes are in decent shape, I would highly recommend it.

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
Handhelds are ok...

we bought a Garmin gpsmap76 from a friend for $100 when he upgraded to the color model. It's handy, maps well, and the portability is really nice for the dinghy or use on someone elses boat. Screen isn't bad, but go with the color if it's in the budget.
Just thoughts,
Chris

Ray Rhode

Member III
Jorge,

I get the opportunity to work with these units and I have decided to go with the 276C for Journey. I feel the screens on the 76 series too small for my eyes. I was also considering the 172c in order to get a larger screen but after playing with them and demonstrating them to customers I decided that the 276c screen was large enough and had sufficient resolution to meet my needs. I will mount it at the helm, but the self-contained batteries allow it's use in the dink and at the chart table below to stand anchor watch at night.

I believe that Garmin also sells a 276 in monochrome.

Ray Rhode
S/Y Journey
E35-III, #189

kevin81

Member II
GPS - chartplotter

Andy
I just added Garmin 172C to our boat. This is a color version and sells for under $500 on the internet. We've taken one cruise so far and a few single day trips and recommend it. Garmin now offers the 172, a monochrome version for less money. I previously used a Garmin GPSMAP 76 (handheld) and mounted it the side rail. It worked well but the larger color screen on the 172C is the way to go!
Kevin

Joe Benedict

Member II
GPS Map76

I have a GPS Map 76. The screen size is a bit small (larger than some other brands) but if you have trouble seeing it you may want to get your eyes checked. I have bifocals and I have not found a problem. The Great Lakes are virtually a featureless bottom so what I find most useful are the directional information, distances from marks etc. It gets foggy rather quickly here sometimes and its nice to know how to get back - it also makes the passengers more comfortable. One feature which is overlooked is the ability to print out current charts (in color) of an area off your computer using Garmin's Bluechart software - including previous passage records. The paper keeps the guests amused and it actually helps when you can give them something to look at when you need another pair of eyes looking. Just a couple of old-guy comments. GPS is simply another navigational tool - know how to navigate without it. As for color or black and white. I grew up with B&W TV's - it was still just as entertaining.

u079721

Contributing Partner
Garmin 182C

With my typical great timing I purchased a Garmin 182C color chartplotter for the LAST of the 11 seasons I owned my boat. For the previous 10 seasons I had been using a 1992 Magellan GPS that was reliable, if somewhat non-user friendly.

Before getting the Garmin I had felt that chartplotters were a bit of a luxury, but not anymore. In a fog, or in the middle of the night, it was SO reassurring to be able to just glance at the chart and know I was on track. And the ability to just click and creat a waypoint for a passage around a rock or reef was like trading in my Pickett slide rule for an electronic calculator.

My regret was that I didn't mount it at the helm, which is where it belongs. Oh well, that's a problem for the new owner.

dwigle

Member III
Garmin 238

I have to agree with everybody else that a chartplotter is the only way to go. Even my wife who worries about to many toys insists on it. We've gone from sun to pea soup fog in less than an hour on SF bay and used it to find our way in strange locations in the middle of the night.

My own $0.02. Grayscale has always been plenty for me though if I had color I might find it necessary. I wouldn't mount it at the helm, but rather foward in the cockpit so I can see it when the auto-pilot or wind vane is steering. I use a swing arm in the companionway.

Don Wigle
Wiggle Room
E-38 Hull #8