• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

PHRF allowance for shoal draft? (E34)

sailingdeacon

Member III
My 1987 E34 with a 4'10 shoal draft has a PHRF of 132 in my area which is consistant throughout other areas. But as I understand it, the same boat with a 6' draft has the same PHRF. Does anyone know if the shoal draft for this boat (or other Ericsons) has been given an allowance? Additionally, does everybody else out there with the E34 have a 132?

She is a great boat and fast, but 132 is tough to race with - especially with standard sails that I have. Still doing decently though.

I have the 2002 PHRF Rating book and a Ericson 34-2 SD (shoal draft) rates 138 in the Chesapeake. An Ericson 34 T rates 150 in North Carolina. I don't know the difference between the two boats, but I assume that you do. Hope this helps.

Morgan Stinemetz

escapade

Inactive Member
I have a 88 E34 w/wing keel that has the 132 rate also. The fin keel models rate 123 or there about. The 34T is a different boat altogether, smaller rig, less effecient underbody, etc. which is why it rates 150. I'm not real sure how acurate my rate is yet as I bought the boat last spring, had it trucked to Michigan, Wed night raced it and finished last every week. When I went looking for new sails last fall I discovered thet the rig is 3 1/2 FEET short. No wonder it was SLOW!!! Like sailing with a reef all the time. I found that there aren't a lot of E34's being raced but the one's that are seem competive. That why I bought it. Keep me posted on how your doing. Bud E34 "Escapade" #265

sailingdeacon

Member III
Wow, what a bummer! Seems I have heard that story elsewhere. Wonder how many short rigs there are? Or is the same boat you now have? I was told by my local NC PHRF that they often see a slower time in the Chesapeake area (6 seconds is typical they say.) Considering I only have a 140 furling headsail, I am doing pretty good. I added a hydraulic backstay and that helps a lot when the wind pipes up. She goes to windward better than I would expect with a shoal draft - so much that with the right wind (10-20) I can do as well as other racer/cruisers. I've talked to previous owners of the E35-3 and they raced competitively, but had a higher PHRF. They report that the headsail was the main driver for upwind, which seems to be the case with my E34. If you could put a taller rig in, you would be much happier, since the boat is pretty fast.

escapade

Inactive Member
The taller rig is in the works! Rig-Rite inR.I. has the old Kenyon extrusion dies & tube's that they aquired from Kenyon. I've got a 6 1/2 foot section coming to add to the bottom. (Cutting additional 3' off & sleeving so that the joint will come at the partners) Your shoal draft should go downwind at least as good as the fin. You will probably notice the biggest difference going to weather. Won't be able to point as high. Try a barber hauler on the clew of the jib. It might give you 2 to 5 degrees higher pointing angle. It seems to help my 34. What with the mast up to size, a folding prop, and a new epoxy (Interprotect 2000E) bottom I'm looking to do a little bit better than last summer, I hope! I do think the boats are fast when set up correctly. Keep me posted on how your doing. Bud