• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

"Homicidal Autopilots"

Sven

Seglare
There is a fascinating suggestion about why we sometimes see YouTube videos of presumed "idiots" turning in front of large ships, posted on the SCCA forum.

I hope Sean doesn't mind me posting yet another link to an external forum.

- http://tinyurl.com/bcy92h

I hadn't considered the possibility of ships interfering or possibly blocking GPS satellites but then I stay well away from anything resembling a ship so I hadn't had reason to think about it.

-Sven

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
All I could get from clicking the posted link was a "not found" message.
:confused:

LB

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Stray RF...

The newl link works.
Brings back memories, too!
RF interference..... I found that I had created this very problem when I installed the tiller pilot on our prior 26 footer.
The power cable for the AP was routed thru the stern laz. and, without really putting my brain in gear, I also routed the VHF coax beside that cable for a couple of feet. On that particular boat we installed the VHF antenna on one side of the stern rail and ran the coax up thru the ss tubing. In every other way, it was a nice installation.
All was well until one fateful day when I ducked below for a minute to make a radio call to another boat. Kathy was on watch in the cockpit. We were powering along at 6 kts on a windless day. AP was engaged.
When I keyed the transmit switch the boat did an abrupt 90 degree turn to starboard!
:confused:
Trust me. That'll sure get your attention. Some fishermen in nearby anchored boats sat up straight too, as we suddenly aimed right at 'em.
After some animated conversation with the watch stander, AP off the pin and got back on course quickly. It did take a while to figure out how to make that strange turn happen again...
Later separated those wires several inches -- no further problems.

Autopilots are a wonderful addition to the crew, but, as someone once said, all solutions can contain new problems...
;)

After about two decades, I still remember that mini-adventure. It's all pretty funny, now.
:)

Loren

Last edited: