• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

SouthWest Gathering

Sven

Seglare
I think it might be possible to do a rendezvous at Cat Harbor on the back side of Catalina some time. I envy those Pacific Northwest Gatherings. Two Harbors and Avalon are defiantly too crowded during the Summer but Cat Harbor always seems to have lots of moorings and anchorages just about any time of the year.

That is a very interesting idea.

I'll propose you as the chairman for the committee to organize it.

We talked about the remote possibility of sailing up to the NW gathering this summer but current practicalities blow that idea right out of the water. Setting up a rendezvous locally would be a great alternative. I wouldn't rule out Isthmus Harbor as a point of convergence as it seems possible for groups (Hunter or whatever) to get reservations for mob scenes.

A question to be answered is if Catalina is the proper place or if some place further North would be more centrally located for a SW gathering ? Santa Barbara ?

Lets start discussing the possibilities ... thanks for bringing up the topic !

========================
Edit: I'll try to keep this list (started by Jeff) up to date. Let me know if I should add you/your boat.

"Pride of Cucamonga" E-27
Wednesday 5-6 to 5-10

"Regulus II" Meanolddad Greg - E-30+
Wednesday 5-6 to 5-10

"Voice of Reason" windjunkee Jim McCone - E-32

Sam Vickery's & power boater friend E-32-3
Thursday 5-9 to Sunday 5-10

"Whisper" MarkA Mark - E-34-T

"Dawn Treader" Glyn & Marilyn Judson - Independence/E-31
Tuesday 5-5 to Sunday 5-10

"Golden Girl" Bill Upchurch & Brother Joe - E-35
Thursday 5-7 to Saturday 5-9

"MoonDance" Ericson35Guy - E-35

"Laiva" ligolaiva38 John - E-38-1

"Serendipity" Nancy and Sven - E-39-B
Wednesday 5-6 to Saturday 5-9

Shaggy - 1986 E38

"Gitana" Captain Don Don Smith - E26
Wednesday 5-6 to ?

Martin King - Independence/E31
5-6 to ?

==============================

-Sven

Last edited:

ligolaiva38

Member II
Santa Barbara is a wonderful harbor! When I was in Channel Islands harbor in the 80's it was the Avalon of my area. Avalon travel took over 60 miles, but Santa Barbara was only 26 miles so it was great for weekends. The Channel Islands were wonderful places with lots of small anchorage harbors, quiet days and beautiful nature areas, but did have times of heavy winds and rough seas tangling boats and even washing ashore and sinking boats.
Cat Harbor is not an over crowded place and it is a quiet harbor compared to the other side of the Isthmus. The only problem is it is more windy, cloudy, and the water is more muddy and not very clear. My favorite place is the Cherry Cove where there is the least wind in the Isthmus, beautiful clear green water, nice swiming and snorkling, but unfortunately many big powerboats that like to run their generators all day long.
When I was young, Channel Islands was the greatest place to sail because it was always challenging. Now that I am older the Isthmus is much less challenging and comfortable place to relax.
That is why I keep my boat in San Pedro instead of Channel Islands. However, if I could get a slip in Santa Barbara I would do it. Unfortunately, it is impossible to get a slip there.
John
Laiva E 381

Meanolddad

Member III
I am not sure about Santa Barbara, I do not think they have much in the way of guest slips. Channel Islands, Ventura, or even Shoreline in Long Beach probably have more slips. Shoreline has a lot of guest slips that are grouped together. Regardless, let us know and I will be there.:egrin:
Greg

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
I tried to organize a Isthmus gathering about 5 years ago and it proved to be very difficult during the warmer months and not very many we're interested in going off season. Cherry cove is especially hard to get into because of it's popularity.

Santa Barbara is about a day and a half journey for me and would probably mean motoring to weather most of the way. My little E-27 is not nearly as fast as the larger boats.

Santa Barbara is about 20+ hours from Angles Gate.

Channel Islands has nice State Guest Slips but once again a pretty long trip beating up wind from San Pedro. I think about 17 hours or more.

Two Harbors is about 4 hours from Angles Gate. Best depart early in the week to guarantee a mooring.

Cat Harbor is about 6 hours from Angles Gate. Lots of room, very protected, yet a bit windy depending on where you are. Lots of good anchoring. More likely to be moored closer together. Also not nearly as rowdy as Two Harbors.

I have been to Catalina 26 times since 2002. My last trip to Two Harbors was not too pleasant last October. Lots of boats close together. They have added a lot of over flow moorings near the camp grounds on the east side of the Harbor and that's where they put me. I was almost hit a few times when un experienced boaters came in.

Just a few things to think about. That's why I vote for Cat Harbor. Best nights sleep I ever had at the island, anchored for free in front of all the moorings in 10 feet of water.

Last edited:

MarkA

Please Contact Admin.
I'm with Jeff: Cat Harbor or Isthmus Cove get my vote.

I haven't had any problems getting summer moorings in Isthmus Cove, except one weekend when 2 large events were happening. The key is to check the calendar and avoid the big events, and try to arrive before noon on Saturday. Better yet, damn superstition and sail on Friday.

Cat Harbor is fine. It's nice and peaceful. The water is a little murky, but there are always fish jumping and it's easy for the kids to catch dinner.

We sail year-round, and the only "season" we're really cognizant of is LOBSTER SEASON! Therefore, throw a dart at the calendar, and we'll be there (unless the kids' ever-changing rehearsal schedules get in the way).

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Well it looks like we have some interest.

Well it looks like we have some interest in doing a gathering. Just might happen. Been a bit chilly and wet for me lately. I'm thinking of a early Summer or late Spring trip. Possibly around but not on Memorial Day.

The Pride Of Cucamonga napping peacefully at Cat Harbor.

Attachments

• CatHarbor1.jpg
    CatHarbor1.jpg
    244.7 KB · Views: 75
  • CatHarbor2.jpg
    CatHarbor2.jpg
    259 KB · Views: 44

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
This shot is at Little Harbor. Only room for about five anchored boats there. I am anchored in about eight feet there, the boat in the middle. It was a bit rolley there. I dreamt of driving dune buggies all night. Wonder why?

Cuc's in the middle.

Attachments

• LittleHarbor.jpg
    LittleHarbor.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 48

Glyn Judson

Southwest gathering.

All, If my vote counts for anything, put me down for the Isthmus Cove. Give me 10 minutes to pack, three minutes to provision the boat and I'll be on my way. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

Sven

Seglare
Jeff,

You know you can count us in unless something really important conflicts with the dates.

We'll still be in San Diego a couple of months (we decided we can't give up the fantastic craftsmen until some more work has been completed) before we get to Cabrillo.

I wonder how the "big" events do it ... how do they get the moorings if it is truly first come first served ? Glyn do you know if they make exceptions for "clubs" in the coves ? Side-ties might help a bit but takes some of the fun out of it.

We would also vote for the Isthmus because the water there is swimable but we've been to Cat harbor a few times too and enjoyed that as well. We have never been in any of the other coves because we row ashore and that gets a bit far, but we'd make an exception in this case if that was a better option.

So:
- The two harbors area ?
- Not on Memorial day but maybe that timeframe, or later ?

This should be really fun !

-Sven

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Jeff,

I wonder how the "big" events do it ... how do they get the moorings if it is truly first come first served ? Glyn do you know if they make exceptions for "clubs" in the coves ? Side-ties might help a bit but takes some of the fun out of it.

-Sven

Not Sure, I suppose a call to the Harbor Master at Two Harbor Enterprises could answer that. I have been at Two Harbors during a Island Packet gathering as well as a Sea Ray (stink potters) Gathering. Those companies actually sponsored those events and they had booths set up on the beach with lectures and what not. Alas the Ericson company is no more.

I have also been to a Cal Meet at Howlings Landing though. It was sponsored by the LA Yacht Club who has facilities there at Howlings. I have friends who own a Cal 29 and they invited me. I was literally the only boat there that was not a Cal. I got to board a couple beautifully restored Cal 40's. Love those boats!

Personally I am not wanting to be that organized about a gathering. Just find a few like wise Ericson owners and go. That's why I recommended Cat Harbor, safe, snug and not over crowded as well as no worries about having to make arrangements with any official types.

Glyn Judson

Southwest gathering, The Real Truth: Soon to be a motion picture.

All, OK, here's the skinny on how it's done at the West End (all coves including Cat Harbor). Moorings are strictly on a first come, first served basis, no exceptions. That said, if a list of boats including skippers name, contact information, size of boat, arrival date and estimated arrival time is sent to the Harbor office well in advance, they will try to group as many boats together with the understanding that at 0800 Saturday, all boats have to potentially be off the mooring for owners or designees to occupy them. My experience there in getting a mooring is that the closer to the previous Sunday one arrives, the better chance one has of getting the mooring of your choice and the better the chances that you'll have one selected for you that is unlikely to require you to move off at 0800 the next Saturday. Mind you, I'm talking about our boat alone, possibly a buddy boat, so two moorings and of course this could well be different for a group of us. Even at that if it were to end up being just a handful, six to eight boats for example, we might fall somewhere in between what I generally experience and what the official party line is. If you want to talk to the Harbor office staff more about this, call them at 310.510.2683 and tell them I said to call. If they slam down the phone immediately at the mention of my name, call again, muffle your voice and don't even breathe my name. : - ) Hope this helps and is further inspiration for us to actually make this happen. Glyn

windjunkee

Member III
Voice of Reason might be in also. That would be fun, although we already have a reunion of sorts right on my dock. There are THREE Ericson 32's all on the same dock (not just the same marina, but the same dock). Our vote would be Catalina also.

Jim McCone
Voice of Reason, E-32 Hull #134
Redondo Beach, CA

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Well, I count ten boats so far with interest's in a gathering. Let's keep talking and maybe we will just start walking.

"Pride of Cucamonga" E-27

"Regulus II" E-30+

"Voice of Reason" E-32

Sam Vickery's E-32-3

"Whisper" E-34-T

Glyn Judson's E-35

"Golden Girl" E-35

"MoonDance" E-35

"Laiva" E-38-1

"Serendipity" E-39-B

:egrin:

MarkA

Please Contact Admin.
Cool!

The weekend of May 16 is not possible for us. Also, I will probably be without a crew every weekend in May preceding that date, but I could probably do a single-hander.

ligolaiva38

Member II
Jeff,
Count me in too. I would really enjoy an Ericson rendezvous. Years ago Glen Judson organized an Ericson gathering at the Isthmus, but only Glen, Martin King, and I showed up with our wifes too, but we had a great evening picnic at the Ishtmus and had some great discussions about boating etc. Amazingly, all three of us were photographers and also discussed our photo careers. I like meeting all those great Ericson boaters at an island because they are unique boaters with lots of class and boating knowledge.

John
Laiva E 381

Meanolddad

Member III
Hi All
My older daughter, (main crew) will be gone the last two weekends in March. She may take a contract hit out on all of us if we plan it those weekends. If at all possible I would like to stay away from the weekends of Easter week / spring break, the first two weekends of April. Any other weekend is good for us. We are all looking forward to meeting with everyone.
Greg

Shaggy

Member II
Howdy, Jeff -

I'm in!

May I humbly suggest the weekend before Memorial Day - ish?

This was a great time to be at the island last year...decent weather and pre-season rush. I had Buttonshell Cove all to myself.

Will meet wherever...Isthmus, Cat Harbor, 4th of July, Emerald....

I think this is a great idea, BTW!

Shaggy