• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Cabrillo slip 31A28 ?

Sven

Seglare
We just got a call that Cabrillo slip 31A28 is open if we want it. The person who called said we needed to reply in two days if we wanted it.

Do any of you (Jeff ?) know where that particular slip is and what it is like ? We won't be stampeded into taking it but if it is nice we would almost certainly want to lay claim to it.

Thanks,

-Sven

Last edited:

Sven

Seglare
Hi Loren,

Try an overhead view on Google Earth......

Maybe.
Perhaps.

:confused:

Loren

A friend knew which slip it was so we did indeed locate it on GE. From above it looks ok but I have to admit that it gives me pause to think about going down a 50' causeway with a 40' L.O.A., turning downwind into the slip in what is sometimes called hurricane gulch - that propwalk could get interesting until we get a Maxprop.

-Sven

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
My best guess puts you in the location indicated by the red button for Berth 31, A Dock. Most of the big boats are there. 40' slips on both sides. I am over on Berth 33, E Dock indicated by the yellow button. When you talk to the Marina again, ask if you are going to be on A Dock just North of the Fuel Dock. If so my guess is correct. They don't have a chart with berthing info on the web site, so I forget exactly how it's all mapped out. I do know that is "A" dock. Hope you become a neighbor soon.

Jeff

Attachments

• berth_info_photo2.jpg
    berth_info_photo2.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 62
  • Large_Map.jpg
    Large_Map.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 55

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
If you have a slip facing down wind and want to get a up wind slip I am sure you can take the one they have now and get on a list for the first available up wind slip. That's what I did. They only charged me $25. for the move. It's a mill pond back where I am at.

I used to be on B dock with a down wind slip. That's part of why I moved. When ever I wanted to hoist the sails for what ever reason at that slip, I would only do it early in the AM. The Hurricanes don't start until the afternoon. Not to many strong winds so far this winter. The Gulch has pretty regular high winds from March through October, 15 to 25 knots.

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
One other thing. If you are at the "A" dock indicated on the maps, it's still pretty protected there. The brunt of the high winds are south of the inner break wall shown on the maps. I would go for it if you are looking in the LA Harbor area unless you want to be in the main channel (lots of wakes), or back in Wilmington. It's about a 25 to 30 minute trip from Wilmington to get out in the Pacific. There's also Al Larson's, closer to the Angles Gate but pretty industrial.

Sven

Seglare
One other thing. If you are at the "A" dock indicated on the maps, it's still pretty protected there. The brunt of the high winds are south of the inner break wall shown on the maps. I would go for it if you are looking in the LA Harbor area unless you want to be in the main channel (lots of wakes), or back in Wilmington. It's about a 25 to 30 minute trip from Wilmington to get out in the Pacific. There's also Al Larson's, closer to the Angles Gate but pretty industrial.

Thanks Jeff. We're taking tomorrow off to take a look in person and we'll almost certainly go for it. We're in the middle of having some work done at Driscoll so it will probably be a month+ before we could physically move even if we end up paying for two slips for a while.

Appreciate the insights.

-Sven

ligolaiva38

Member II
I'm in 33 A 30 and the marina is nice. I face downwind which isn't a real problem. What is a problem is racoons in the marina. On my dock many boats have been broken into and damaged when the racoons smell food in the boat. In the summer if you leave open a small window they are able to squeez in and then scratch the wood around the window trying to climb up and squeez out of the window after leaving a mess in the boat breaking open drawers, fridge and cupboards. I find lots of pooop on the boat because they just hang out at nite if they cannot break in. Power boats with fly bridges have major problems with racoons moving in and living up there. My neighbor was spending the evening after the sunset on back deck enjoying the boat when a bunch of racoons started jumping down from the fly bridge and chasing them off the boat. The racoons are so used to people they are not afraid and make people back off and get out of their way. On the dock I have had to walk away to the boat on the side because the racoons will not move out of your way and let you pass down the dock walk way.
In the summer when I spend the night on the boat I cannot leave the hatch or windows open because the racoons are not afraid of people and have been breaking in for food and attacking people.
Several years ago some people from the marina on a boat went to Catalina and when they went to bed a racoon was in the V birth. They left the boat and the harbor patrol tried to trap the racoon, but it left the boat and swam to shore. It took the Catalina Nature Preserve weeks to find and catch the racoon.
...Just to let you know to not leave your windows open, don't leave food on the boat and keep the boat as far way from the dock sides so the racoons cannot get on the boat and get in. Otherwise it is a nice marina to be in.

Last edited:

Sven

Seglare
... My neighbor was spending the evening after the sunset on back deck enjoying the boat when a bunch of racoons started jumping down from the fly bridge and chasing them off the boat. ...

That is pretty funny except we've had raccoon problems on land so I know it isn't a joke. When we lived in Lake Gregory we built a deck with a hot tub/spa 30' above ground, overlooking the lake ... it was spectacular and the raccoons thought so too ! One evening when we had the spa going and went out there we found a family of 5 busy washing their "hands" in the steaming frothing water. No problem, I went to get a poker from the fireplace to poke them and make them leave ... problem, the big guy (male, female ?) just grabbed the end and started pulling ! We let them have the tub for the night.

Those guys can leap 5-6' if panicked (dog chasing) so if they want to get on board they will. I think I'd keep a spray bottle of vinegar (or even ammonia) handy if I was expecting a run-in ... no permanent damage but a deterrent.

The walk to 31A28 is so long that even the hardiest raccoon is likely to give up before getting there :)

-Sven

ligolaiva38

Member II
Interesting and familiar reaction to racoons!. Some folks on the dock are using air guns or BB guns to shoot racoons in the butt to make them hate coming on their boats and it helps a bit.
My dock is parallel to yours only on the other side across from the harbor entrance (towards 22nd street restaurant) and the racoons have a long walk to all the boats on my dock. They trave on the rocks and even swim to docks. I know because sometimes they have been very wet on the dock and on my boat with salt water stains. They like the big boats because they have food and lots of space to live on especially up on the fly bridges. ...And they like to go down to the back of the boat to poop. On the power boat across from me the racoons lived on the fly bridge and pooped in the dinghy hanging on the back. Another large power boat at the end of the dock had six racoons living in the fly bridge with a bunch of babies which was a bad experience for the owner when he showed up and wanted to go out cruising with guests.

Sven

Seglare
Got a call today, three 40' slips just became available

It is probably a sign of the times ... the following slips are ours for the taking

29 A 02
29 E 40
31 E 16

Based on the map 29 E 40 looks most promising. Tomorrow we drive down to take a look. We still have San Diego work to be done but due to $s we'll hold off on the 15K standing rigging work until after summer so it is probably time to move.

Another upwind sail coming up :) Probably one day to Oceanside, then a second day sail to Cabrillo. It sure is nice to have a little ship where a "delivery" is something you look forward to :egrin:

-Sven

Sven

Seglare
It is probably a sign of the times ... the following slips are ours for the taking

29 A 02
29 E 40
31 E 16

We just came back from looking them over and told Veronica we want 31 E 16. Veronica sure is nice and competent !

31 E 16 is uncomfortably close to The Pride of Cucamonga (who we didn't spot) and Valinor (who was in her slip) but we'll have to put up with that :egrin:

I think it will be ours on 6-13 and we might bring Senta II up on 6-18 or two weeks after that.

-Sven

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Sven, Sorry I didn't see your post until today. I am at Berth 33, Slip E-33 over at the Watchhorn Walk Parking lot side. Unfortunately they don't post a detailed map of the slip arrangement on the web site. I will try to get a copy from the office and see where you will be in relationship to me. I look forward to having Both you and Nancy and Senta II near by. As far as being uncomfortably close to the Pride Of Cucamonga, don't worry. She only gets rowdy when She's at Catalina.

Welcome to Cabrillo and San Pedro! Call me on my cell any time your in the area. I sent it to you in a PM.

Beam Winds.

Jeff:egrin: